Skip to main content

I Knew How to Fix the Pillows

I have six throw pillows in our great room. Four on the couch and two on the love seat. They are different and they compliment each other; I like to have them arranged a certain way, but I'm not stressed if they're not. They are often thrown on the wrong couch or the floor or heaped up in a jumble. I now know why my mother refused to have them. They look cute for a few hours if I fluff them up before I go to bed, but by morning scripture time they are a mess. I just fix them from time to time throughout the day or leave them as they are. 

Last night we discovered that Estelle, who has been struggling emotionally, has just kicked it up a notch. I have been feeling very helpless as to how to help her. She doesn't really want to talk to me and is often rude to me. We have been considering counseling and this event just confirmed the need for it.  I hate watching my kids struggle so much! 

Destry and I were talking to some of the kids while Estelle was in the shower. We were encouraging them to be extra kind and to avoid engaging in confrontation with her. 

Taylor asked me to rub his shoulders for a few minutes-he does that quite often. He usually rubs mine too so it is a win/win. I was sitting on the love seat and Taylor was on the floor in front of me getting his massage while we were talking. 

The pillows were in disarray, like they are more often than not. After only a few seconds of shoulder rubbing I stood up picked up the pillows and put them where I like them then sat back down. Taylor said to me, "So all this talking of doing things differently encouraged you to arrange the pillows?" I laughed and said, "I guess it did."

Later as I was in bed pondering on the events of the day. I realized that fixing the pillows was something I could do. I feel out of control in some aspects of my life and that was one thing that I knew how to put into place. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Sarah

My baby has the first birthday of the year. She turned the lucky number 7 on April 3. She could not have been more excited! We celebrated with a rainy BBQ and ice cream pie with family along with games with more ice cream pie with her friends. She recently learned how to ride a two wheeled bike without training wheels and her birthday wish was for a new helmet which Kevin and Christine delivered. She is still easy to please and we had fun parties with her. I am so grateful that she is a part of my life. She has taught me more about expressing love than anyone else. I am the Primary chorister and I have been observing the children lately, especially the younger ones. They are able to express their love freely; they give hugs and smiles to their teachers and anyone else who makes them happy. They sit on their laps and expect to be loved back. The older they get the less easy it is for them to express love. Sarah is not the youngest in Primary any more, but she is sti...

The Costco to Trader Joe's Transition

The first time I went to Trader Joe's, I was both under- and overwhelmed. I had heard that it was a gluten free mecca, that they had so many great products that just couldn't be missed. Upon entry, I was greeted with beautiful, affordable cut flowers. The produce section, also reasonable priced, sold the basics of any grocery store. I then perused small packages of cheese. I continued walking up and down each aisle, stopping occasionally to read the labels of products that caught my eye, only to put every item back onto its designated spot on the shelf. The store itself was small and crowded, filled mostly with college students and an occasional older woman. There were few mothers with children in tow, or heaping carts. The checkout lines were long, but had an employee at every register. I cannot speak to how long it took to get through a line because I walked out empty- handed. I left unsure if I would ever go back.  I was underwhelmed because it was just a grocery store; I do...

Yesterday we had a "Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad" morning that ended with a Christlike Kindness

Last Saturday morning SHOULD have been an ordinary Saturday morning.  The children have "Saturday chores" that they are required to do before they move on with their day.  There are a few exceptions.  This morning Spencer had an exception because his scout troop led by Destry went on a rock climbing expedition.  It was a gorgeous day!  They had a great time thanks to Destry's former missionary companion and friend, Dallin Ward, who shared his talents and expertise with the group.  Spencer was the star as I was told.   For those of us who stayed behind, it should have been chore time after they left.  They were all playing together nicely for a while and I just let them.  It is fun to see them getting along and playing well.  At around 10:00 I reminded them  to get get started because Emma had her first basketball game of the season and Estelle had a birthday party that both started at 1:00.  That should have been no problem. ...