Skip to main content

Double Digits

I got to spend the afternoon with my girliest of girls. What Estelle wanted most for her birthday was to go shopping. Done. We celebrated yesterday with our extended family and a couple of friends and some fruit pizzas. We cleaned the church and went to Sarah's soccer game today before the two of us got to head out. 

We went to Kohl's first and found a pair of shorts. I also got a pair for Emma since she will be needing them for the summer. Next we ventured to the Mall in Provo. She found a cute dress, another pair of shorts and a shirt. She had some of her own birthday money so she also got a pair of shoes and I splurged on a set of glue-on nails to match a new outfit. 

She is a good shopper. She knew what her budget was and didn't pus the limit. She is good to check prices and tries to get the most for her money. She is gracious and grateful and we had a lovely time together.

We ate at Brick Oven then went to check out the work Destry has been doing for Kira Tymon on the apartment above the garage at Neva's old house that she just bought. He is making some good changes, but he called it "an expensive bandaid." There is some structural deficiencies that should be addressed, but will cost more than she has, so he is doing his best with what her budget is. 

Estelle dozed off on the drive home and I was remembering fondly the time we went to Disneyland when she was 2 1/2 years old. We had some points on a Disney credit card that the kids were able to use for souvenirs. The moment she spotted a set of Disney princess figurines that was all she could see. I bought it for her, but she still had more money that she could spend. I took her to several shops and showed her a tea set and a hair set among other things, but She only had eyes for the figurines. We bought two and she couldn't have been happier! 

That began a long term love affair with figurines. All my girls played with them, but she loved them the most. They were played with in the tub, taken camping, and on long car rides. They were a toy we definitely got our money's worth. We have purchased several other sets since then. We have weeded them out occasionally, but we still have a few for tub play. 

Now that she is, (or will be on Monday,) double digits, she doesn't play with them much any more, but she does like to play with them in the tub from time to time. So even though we have gotten rid of barbies and dress up clothes, the figurines still have a place in our home and our hearts.

I kind of can't believe that she is 10. That is a big number. It is all of your fingers. She will be in 5th grade next year and I can't call her a "little girl" any more. The boys are "the boys," Emma is simply, "Emma," and Estelle and Sarah are referred to as "the little girls." I think our labeling will have to be altered a bit. I can only say that I have one little girl now, sadly. 

As sad as that is, there is also joy. I think I enjoy Estelle more and more each year. She was a good baby, but a difficult toddler. Once she started school, she has been getting better and better. She is an excellent student and has a tender heart. She has enjoyed being in the school play for the last two years and has a lovely voice--yay! And she likes to sing--double yay! She and I sang together at at school assembly; it was fun. I am a lucky mama and am so proud to have another child reach the double digit milestone.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Sarah

My baby has the first birthday of the year. She turned the lucky number 7 on April 3. She could not have been more excited! We celebrated with a rainy BBQ and ice cream pie with family along with games with more ice cream pie with her friends. She recently learned how to ride a two wheeled bike without training wheels and her birthday wish was for a new helmet which Kevin and Christine delivered. She is still easy to please and we had fun parties with her. I am so grateful that she is a part of my life. She has taught me more about expressing love than anyone else. I am the Primary chorister and I have been observing the children lately, especially the younger ones. They are able to express their love freely; they give hugs and smiles to their teachers and anyone else who makes them happy. They sit on their laps and expect to be loved back. The older they get the less easy it is for them to express love. Sarah is not the youngest in Primary any more, but she is sti...

The Costco to Trader Joe's Transition

The first time I went to Trader Joe's, I was both under- and overwhelmed. I had heard that it was a gluten free mecca, that they had so many great products that just couldn't be missed. Upon entry, I was greeted with beautiful, affordable cut flowers. The produce section, also reasonable priced, sold the basics of any grocery store. I then perused small packages of cheese. I continued walking up and down each aisle, stopping occasionally to read the labels of products that caught my eye, only to put every item back onto its designated spot on the shelf. The store itself was small and crowded, filled mostly with college students and an occasional older woman. There were few mothers with children in tow, or heaping carts. The checkout lines were long, but had an employee at every register. I cannot speak to how long it took to get through a line because I walked out empty- handed. I left unsure if I would ever go back.  I was underwhelmed because it was just a grocery store; I do...

Yesterday we had a "Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad" morning that ended with a Christlike Kindness

Last Saturday morning SHOULD have been an ordinary Saturday morning.  The children have "Saturday chores" that they are required to do before they move on with their day.  There are a few exceptions.  This morning Spencer had an exception because his scout troop led by Destry went on a rock climbing expedition.  It was a gorgeous day!  They had a great time thanks to Destry's former missionary companion and friend, Dallin Ward, who shared his talents and expertise with the group.  Spencer was the star as I was told.   For those of us who stayed behind, it should have been chore time after they left.  They were all playing together nicely for a while and I just let them.  It is fun to see them getting along and playing well.  At around 10:00 I reminded them  to get get started because Emma had her first basketball game of the season and Estelle had a birthday party that both started at 1:00.  That should have been no problem. ...