Skip to main content

The Spirit Calms Him

Yesterday while we were driving to my mom's house to celebrate Mother's Day with her a week early, I was chatting with Taylor. He had gone up to the stand to participate in blessing the Sacrament. A few moments later I saw him walk out of the chapel. I assumed he had to blow his nose or something. He walked back in during the opening hymn with a loaf of bread in his hand. Apparently, one of the Teachers had forgotten to bring a loaf today. The Priests reverently finished getting the Sacrament table ready for later in the meeting. Taylor blessed the water today. He did a beautiful job. It was his first time. He had blessed the bread a few times before, but not the water. Taylor is incredibly shy and hates being in front of people; yet, you would never know it when he is blessing the Sacrament.

I asked him, "On a scale of 1-10, 1 being no stress at all and 10 being the worst anxiety ever, what is his stress level when he blesses the Sacrament?" He said that a few seconds before it shoots up to an 8 or 9, but when he is praying he feels calm. That is such a tender mercy for him. I am so proud of him. He doesn't appear nervous at all. I'm so grateful that he realizes this is a blessing to him and I'm grateful that he is willing to participate whenever he is needed. He can do so many hard things!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"

As a mother stills her child,      Thou canst hush the ocean wild; From August to November of last year, Taylor has had four witnessed and likely two other grand mal seizures; all of them in his sleep. By the time he'd had his sixth the Sunday before Thanksgiving, I had reached the end of my rope. It was terrifying to see him stiffen, shake, foam at the mouth and turn purple for many minutes. This particular seizure was the worst and the longest. We were struggling to get him seen by a neurologist and I had decided to call the paramedics for the fourth time and this time to have him transported to the hospital even if he regained consciousness. He needed to be fast tracked to testing and medication.  Little did I know that that call would take me down a path I never in a million years imagined I would be on.  To summarize what happened after the paramedics arrived, they pushed me out of Taylor's room and refused to give me the time of day. Never mind, he has a complex medical h