Skip to main content

Valentine's Day Traditions

Exactly five years ago I prepared the first family Valentine's Day dinner. Spencer was fifteen and would be hitting the dating scene in a few short months from then and I decided he, along with the rest of the crew, needed to learn a few manners. So. I planned a fancy, candlelit dinner complete with folded cloth napkins. We enjoyed our time together and I told everyone not to expect the same every year--I didn't want to commit myself. However, next year rolled around and I decided we would celebrate again in a similar way.

I invited Estelle to help me choose a theme and a menu. She chose a 50's diner theme. This time we all dressed up fifties style and she even made a jute box with an iPod. It was super cute and again we had a fun night. Emma was a bit ruffled that I had asked Estelle to help me so I was committed to another year.

Emma chose a country/cowboy theme and we invited my mom to come. After dinner we sang karaoke using Spencer's newly purchased DJ equipment. My mom sang "Home on the Range." My children are still talking about it. Last year Spencer was 18 and a senior in high school. Not knowing exactly how much longer we would have him for our celebrations, I asked him to help plan the party. 

Sarah, now ten, felt it was high time for her to have a turn. She has been talking about it for six months. She has a fascination with Paris so we tried to have a Parisian theme, but the decorations were mostly traditional Valentine's and fondue was on the menu. This year we invited Erika. Again, a good time was had by all. The food and the company were great. Taylor was informed that he had a year to come up with a theme and a menu.  

Last week when I was walking up to the Mt. Timpanogos Temple, I felt my mom's key chain that had come off of her keys. It resembles a mini Alaskan license plate and says #1 Grandma on it. I knew what it was, but had forgotten it was in there. I smiled and decided that I wanted to give something to my family on Valentine's Day for them to remind them of their heavenly grandparents. I went to the dollar store and purchased a bag of light blue glass blobs. I shared with them how I had found the key chain and that I wanted them to have a remembrance of their own.

I told them that they were lucky to have three grandparents in heaven cheering for them. And while we may miss their hugs and treats they were still with us and could maybe even do more for us where they are at then if they were still here. I handed them two glass stones and told them to put them in places where they would run into them every so often to be reminded that they are loved and that they are never alone. It was a special moment and Erika appreciated it as well and even asked for two to pass on to someone she feels could use them. 

My newly ordained to an Elder son, Spencer, gave Erika a blessing. It was his first and one of the sweetest, most sincere, and most inspiring blessing I had heard. Erika cried. She has a lot of health problems and I know she feels especially alone. She has a doctor appointment on Friday that she is worried about and she is going to let me go with her. 

After she left, most of us played a game of "Cover Your Assets," a new favorite. We all went to bed happy. The Valentine's Day dinner that I thought may not become a tradition has become one and I couldn't be more happy about it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"

As a mother stills her child,      Thou canst hush the ocean wild; From August to November of last year, Taylor has had four witnessed and likely two other grand mal seizures; all of them in his sleep. By the time he'd had his sixth the Sunday before Thanksgiving, I had reached the end of my rope. It was terrifying to see him stiffen, shake, foam at the mouth and turn purple for many minutes. This particular seizure was the worst and the longest. We were struggling to get him seen by a neurologist and I had decided to call the paramedics for the fourth time and this time to have him transported to the hospital even if he regained consciousness. He needed to be fast tracked to testing and medication.  Little did I know that that call would take me down a path I never in a million years imagined I would be on.  To summarize what happened after the paramedics arrived, they pushed me out of Taylor's room and refused to give me the time of day. Never mind, he has a complex medical h