Skip to main content

Bye-bye baby pool. . .hello stake dances

Today has been reflective and joyful.  Yesterday my sweet 5 year old "baby" asked to play with the baby toys.  We keep a box of them on a top shelf in Emma's bedroom to entertain young guests.  I got them down for her and she played made music with the noisy toys and stacked up the alphabet blocks.  Today as I was putting them away I felt a bit of sadness as I remembered purchasing those toys for my babies and knowing that I would never again be buying baby toys for my own babies.  I have passed that stage of life, and most of the time it is with little regret.  I don't miss the long nights and the diapers and worse--the potty training, but I do miss the first smile, the first belly laugh, and the first steps.  And while those early firsts are but a sweet memory, today I experienced with my children several other firsts.

The first of my motherhood firsts today was our graduating from the "baby pool."  At the Lehi Legacy Center indoor pool there is an area reserved for babies and children 5 and under.  Many of our first times visiting the pool was spent there.  Today it was the first place Sarah wished to go.  She is proudly 5 1/2.  I took her there after assigning my other four children a "buddy."  Estelle needs one because she is to young to be left to her own devices and Taylor because I need him to have one for my peace of mind.  After five minutes Sarah was ready to leave.  We ventured to the "lazy river" and even to the larger play area with an even larger slide.  Granted it is not too large for a adventurous toddler, but today was the first time she had mustered up enough courage to try it out for herself.  After having gone down it once in the protective grasp of her big sister Estelle, she was ready to go by herself.  After that, there was no looking back.  It was "goodbye to the baby pool."  I was proud of her and she was proud of herself. 

On the drive home fourteen year old Spencer told me that there was a stake dance tonight, but he thought he was too tired to attend.  He, however, called a friend and made arrangements to ride to the dance with him any way.  He has been nervous about going and has had other friends trying to coax him into it.  But Brevin is just a couple of weeks younger and having another newbie was comforting to him.  So instead of staying up late with babies, I get to stay up waiting for teenagers to arrive home.  Upon his return he was all smiles.  My tender-hearted son asked girls to dance and had a great time.  He wants to go again.  It was a joy listening to him talk about the night's events and I realized our family was opening a new chapter in our lives.  In three years more of my children will be teenagers than not.

While we may not have the joy of new babies in the house, we still have many more years of firsts.  First dates, graduations from elementary, middle, high school and college are a few of the upcoming firsts for my children.  There will be other small firsts like the ones we experienced tonight.  I especially look forward to first temple trips and first letters from missionaries.  There are many more "firsts" to look forward to in the future and I can't wait!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Sarah

My baby has the first birthday of the year. She turned the lucky number 7 on April 3. She could not have been more excited! We celebrated with a rainy BBQ and ice cream pie with family along with games with more ice cream pie with her friends. She recently learned how to ride a two wheeled bike without training wheels and her birthday wish was for a new helmet which Kevin and Christine delivered. She is still easy to please and we had fun parties with her. I am so grateful that she is a part of my life. She has taught me more about expressing love than anyone else. I am the Primary chorister and I have been observing the children lately, especially the younger ones. They are able to express their love freely; they give hugs and smiles to their teachers and anyone else who makes them happy. They sit on their laps and expect to be loved back. The older they get the less easy it is for them to express love. Sarah is not the youngest in Primary any more, but she is sti...

The Costco to Trader Joe's Transition

The first time I went to Trader Joe's, I was both under- and overwhelmed. I had heard that it was a gluten free mecca, that they had so many great products that just couldn't be missed. Upon entry, I was greeted with beautiful, affordable cut flowers. The produce section, also reasonable priced, sold the basics of any grocery store. I then perused small packages of cheese. I continued walking up and down each aisle, stopping occasionally to read the labels of products that caught my eye, only to put every item back onto its designated spot on the shelf. The store itself was small and crowded, filled mostly with college students and an occasional older woman. There were few mothers with children in tow, or heaping carts. The checkout lines were long, but had an employee at every register. I cannot speak to how long it took to get through a line because I walked out empty- handed. I left unsure if I would ever go back.  I was underwhelmed because it was just a grocery store; I do...

Yesterday we had a "Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad" morning that ended with a Christlike Kindness

Last Saturday morning SHOULD have been an ordinary Saturday morning.  The children have "Saturday chores" that they are required to do before they move on with their day.  There are a few exceptions.  This morning Spencer had an exception because his scout troop led by Destry went on a rock climbing expedition.  It was a gorgeous day!  They had a great time thanks to Destry's former missionary companion and friend, Dallin Ward, who shared his talents and expertise with the group.  Spencer was the star as I was told.   For those of us who stayed behind, it should have been chore time after they left.  They were all playing together nicely for a while and I just let them.  It is fun to see them getting along and playing well.  At around 10:00 I reminded them  to get get started because Emma had her first basketball game of the season and Estelle had a birthday party that both started at 1:00.  That should have been no problem. ...