Skip to main content

Labor Day Perfection

Today could quite possibly have been called a perfect day.  I had a slow morning, followed by  getting some laundry started, cleaning the kitchen and mopping the floor and vacuuming the rest of the upstairs.  The little girls played together nicely, Spencer and Emma went to the blue barn together and Taylor and Zach Skinner hung out with their electronics (Zach's family went to Lake Powell for the weekend.  He wanted to go on the scout camp out Friday night instead of going to Lake Powell--what is wrong with him??, and his mother didn't want him to stay home alone for the rest of the weekend so she asked if he could stay with us.  Of course he could).  Destry worked for a couple of hours at the Oborne's on a small remodeling project they hired him to do.  I also had a nice visit with Renee who is homesick.  I am sad for her.  Her hubby is out of town again.  He has been working lots of overtime since they got to Alaska.  Renee and the girls have made some nice friends, but she knows that the Smiths usually go camping together on Labor Day weekend so she was missing us.  We didn't camp this year so I told her not to be too sad.  I am secretly glad that they don't love it there so much that they never want to come back.  We are homesick for them every day!  Estelle played Uno and did the "chicken dance" with Abby over Skype.  I love skype.  What a great technological blessing to be able to see our cousins who are hundreds of miles away.  The girls are always so cute and creative when they Skype together.  Sometimes they play ponies and princesses or read books together.

After we ate lunch, we packed up some snacks and climbed into the Yukon.  Our intended destination was Cascade Springs, which we did make it to eventually.  That is one of my favorite places to visit.  It is so beautiful and peaceful there, even when it is really crowded like today was.   Destry saw a side road he wanted to explore, so explore we did.  We made our way up a one lane dirt road into the back country.  It was beautiful.  When Estelle found out that this was actually a detour and that we did not know exactly where the road went; although Destry had a good idea, she quietly cried.  We found a turn around spot and went back.  I am sympathetic of her fear.  I have a certain amount of anxiety of off roading myself.  What if we roll down the side of the mountain and no one is around to notice?  What if the car breaks down and we have to walk ten miles to phone service?  What if we get lost?  What if there is freak thunder storm and the road washes out...?  I try to keep this in check, but I know where she is coming from. We went home via Midway and Heber.  We had dinner at a burger joint in Heber that has serving crowds down to a science.  

We had a great day together.  It was only partially planned and the detours were great.  We enjoyed Zach's company and he seemed to survive the weekend with us.  Even Taylor's blood glucose was mostly in check.  He was not sick and he wasn't annoying either; that was a real bonus!  When he is not sick he is usually funny and goofy that doesn't know when to quit.  Today he was just pleasant.  I was about to say there was no fighting and no meltdowns, but that  would have been going too far.  With all three girls sharing the third row seat there was a small amount of fighting, but only when we started out. Sarah had a small meltdown when the only bathroom facility available when she needed one was an outhouse.  Once she decided that her need to use it outweighed the smell and scariness she was fine.  I can't say that I blame her for that one.  I have internal meltdowns whenever I have to use one.  All in all it was a great day!  I love uncomplicated, semi-structured time with my family.  Days like today are the ones we will all remember when we get old.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"

As a mother stills her child,      Thou canst hush the ocean wild; From August to November of last year, Taylor has had four witnessed and likely two other grand mal seizures; all of them in his sleep. By the time he'd had his sixth the Sunday before Thanksgiving, I had reached the end of my rope. It was terrifying to see him stiffen, shake, foam at the mouth and turn purple for many minutes. This particular seizure was the worst and the longest. We were struggling to get him seen by a neurologist and I had decided to call the paramedics for the fourth time and this time to have him transported to the hospital even if he regained consciousness. He needed to be fast tracked to testing and medication.  Little did I know that that call would take me down a path I never in a million years imagined I would be on.  To summarize what happened after the paramedics arrived, they pushed me out of Taylor's room and refused to give me the time of day. Never mind, he has a complex medical h