Skip to main content

For the Strength of Youth!

As I sat teary-eyed for most of Sacrament Meeting today, I reflected on how much responsibility and faith the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints gives to its youth. To my knowledge there is no other church in the world who does so. 16 year old young men bless the sacred emblems representing the flesh and blood of the Savior of the world. It is then passed by 12 and 13 year olds to members of the congregation. In our particular ward, the organist is 15 and the chorister who leads the entire congregation in hymn singing is 16. Both are vibrant young women.

Today every sermon came from youth. The first one was from a 15 year old young woman named Emma Fong. She taught a truth about how each person needs to develop their own relationship with God for themselves. No one can do it for them. She compared this to a recent experience she had of having her wisdom teeth removed. She said she was given instructions on how to care for her recovering gums, stating that if her parents took the prescribed medication and iced their cheeks it would have done her no good. She had to do that for herself, much like she needs to read her scriptures, pray, attend meeting and seek that relationship with God herself. It was beautiful and well thought out.

The next two speakers were 18 year old Austin Bartlet and 19 year old McKenzie Weaver. Both will be serving the Lord and the church by dedicating  two years and 18 months to missionary work respectively. They too discussed the need for "self reliance" as Austin put it. Each individual is responsible for gaining his or her own testimony and like a new engine will run better if better cared for. Each of them shared their own testimony and their desire and willingness to serve missions.

I have been blessed to be the chorister in Primary for the past 16 months. The innocence of budding testimonies touches my heart weekly. I learn so much from even the youngest children. One of my favorite song we learned this year is called, "Seek the Lord Early." The words are a simple prescription for developing a personal relationship with deity. The words are as follows:

I'll seek the Lord early while in my youth,
And He will help me to know the truth.
I'll search the scriptures and find Him there,
Then go to our Father in fervent prayer.
I'll seek the Lord early, and I'll obey
His living prophets in all they say.
I'll keep his commandments; His love will abound.
I will seek the Lord early, and He will be found.
 
 

This song will be included in the annual Primary program in which the entire service is presented by children ages 3-11. They will speak, sing and recite short memorized truths. A couple youthful pianists will prepare to accompany a song sung by the children. It is a favorite Sunday of everyone. Today everyone present had the opportunity to be spiritually fed and uplifted by the young people who participated today. My heart is full.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"

As a mother stills her child,      Thou canst hush the ocean wild; From August to November of last year, Taylor has had four witnessed and likely two other grand mal seizures; all of them in his sleep. By the time he'd had his sixth the Sunday before Thanksgiving, I had reached the end of my rope. It was terrifying to see him stiffen, shake, foam at the mouth and turn purple for many minutes. This particular seizure was the worst and the longest. We were struggling to get him seen by a neurologist and I had decided to call the paramedics for the fourth time and this time to have him transported to the hospital even if he regained consciousness. He needed to be fast tracked to testing and medication.  Little did I know that that call would take me down a path I never in a million years imagined I would be on.  To summarize what happened after the paramedics arrived, they pushed me out of Taylor's room and refused to give me the time of day. Never mind, he has a complex medical h