Skip to main content

You Can Teach an Old Dog New Tricks!

To cut to the chase, I passed the Real Estate Licensing Exam today!

Destry has a good job and earns a fair amount of money, but with five kids, a dog and a mortgage it only goes so far. We always have medical expenses, but have not had a car payment in years. I'm not sure we could afford one. We get by, we live frugally, but some months feel a little more stretched than others. With the kids getting older and all of them in school, I looked into getting a job myself; however, having been a stay at home mom for the past 16 years I was looking at entry level jobs, even with two degrees. I felt a bit discouraged for a while.

And even with my kids in school, my working will take some teamwork and sacrifice from my family and I could not justify my time away from our home for $8.00 and hour. I would need to take some classes to get my teaching certificate, but I feel like I have been teaching for 16 years and I have about 16 to go to get these kids through, so I do not really want to do that. I need a flexible schedule, one where I can respond to calls such as, "Mom, I ran out of capri suns, test strips, insulin,..." Others like, "Mom, my homework is on the table can you bring it to me?" Or "I forgot my lunch." "I'm feeling stressed, can you pick me up and take me to lunch?" "I'm sick, can you come and get me?" etc., etc. etc. This does not include the PTA meetings, class parties,reading dates, or Halloween parades, or Christmas sing-ins... It, likewise, doesn't include the shopping, cooking, bill paying, house cleaning or the regular doctor and orthodontist appointments... I'm tired already!

But some extra cash would be welcome and I would like to learn and contribute to society and my family in a monetary way. I talked to a friend and my sister-in-law, JuNette, both of whom are real estate agents. They are busy moms and both said that while there are sacrifices to be made, the schedule is indeed flexible and the pay is better than the $8.00/hr. starting wage I would be making doing something else.

So in September, after Labor Day, I signed up at Stringham School, paid for by my mother-in-law, Claudia. She loaned me the money so I could get started sooner. I am very grateful. I finished my 120 hours of online coursework and the live  all day review session mid November. The soonest the test was available at the testing center was today. I took practice tests, studied, reviewed, stressed and prayed that I would do well and pass the test so I could move on towards receiving my license and beginning a new career.

The test was easier than I had expected, thankfully. I finished in a shorter amount of time than what was allotted, got fingerprinted and handed a small stack of paperwork to take to a broker and the state licensing place, a place of which I do not as yet know its location. I have talked to a broker who said he would hire me and I feel good about working there.

I am super excited to begin this new adventure! Either you can teach an old dog new tricks, or I am not as old as the number I will be turning this month sounds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Sarah

My baby has the first birthday of the year. She turned the lucky number 7 on April 3. She could not have been more excited! We celebrated with a rainy BBQ and ice cream pie with family along with games with more ice cream pie with her friends. She recently learned how to ride a two wheeled bike without training wheels and her birthday wish was for a new helmet which Kevin and Christine delivered. She is still easy to please and we had fun parties with her. I am so grateful that she is a part of my life. She has taught me more about expressing love than anyone else. I am the Primary chorister and I have been observing the children lately, especially the younger ones. They are able to express their love freely; they give hugs and smiles to their teachers and anyone else who makes them happy. They sit on their laps and expect to be loved back. The older they get the less easy it is for them to express love. Sarah is not the youngest in Primary any more, but she is sti...

The Costco to Trader Joe's Transition

The first time I went to Trader Joe's, I was both under- and overwhelmed. I had heard that it was a gluten free mecca, that they had so many great products that just couldn't be missed. Upon entry, I was greeted with beautiful, affordable cut flowers. The produce section, also reasonable priced, sold the basics of any grocery store. I then perused small packages of cheese. I continued walking up and down each aisle, stopping occasionally to read the labels of products that caught my eye, only to put every item back onto its designated spot on the shelf. The store itself was small and crowded, filled mostly with college students and an occasional older woman. There were few mothers with children in tow, or heaping carts. The checkout lines were long, but had an employee at every register. I cannot speak to how long it took to get through a line because I walked out empty- handed. I left unsure if I would ever go back.  I was underwhelmed because it was just a grocery store; I do...

Yesterday we had a "Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad" morning that ended with a Christlike Kindness

Last Saturday morning SHOULD have been an ordinary Saturday morning.  The children have "Saturday chores" that they are required to do before they move on with their day.  There are a few exceptions.  This morning Spencer had an exception because his scout troop led by Destry went on a rock climbing expedition.  It was a gorgeous day!  They had a great time thanks to Destry's former missionary companion and friend, Dallin Ward, who shared his talents and expertise with the group.  Spencer was the star as I was told.   For those of us who stayed behind, it should have been chore time after they left.  They were all playing together nicely for a while and I just let them.  It is fun to see them getting along and playing well.  At around 10:00 I reminded them  to get get started because Emma had her first basketball game of the season and Estelle had a birthday party that both started at 1:00.  That should have been no problem. ...