Skip to main content

"Forty Day Walk with Christ"

I was invited by a friend from my ward to participate in an exercise to invite the Spirit into my home and ward. I decided to accept. I will share the terms here and report on something I have learned each day, hopefully. It has been a while since I have written and this will hopefully get me going again. It isn't that there isn't anything going on, it is precisely the opposite; however, I really do want to make this blog a priority for my children and posterity. This program will end on Easter Sunday. I decided to ask my family if they wanted to participate and they did, so I studied the assigned scriptures earlier this morning and read them to the family right after.

1. Get up 15-30 minutes earlier than usual each day. (I am not actually going to do this 5:30 is as early as it gets on the week days. I may apply this to the weekends; however).
2. Generate the Spirit daily through humble, fervent prayer; through meditation; through pondering.
3. Organize your day and include the following: scripture reading assignment, family and personal prayer, service. I do this for the most part, but I will try to be more purposeful about it.
4. Attend the temple or prepare to obtain a temple recommend.
5. Do quality visiting teaching.
6. Hold FHE every week during the 40 days.
7. Go the second mile in your church calling and attend all church meetings.
8. Plan a date with your spouse.
9. Obey all commandments to the best of your ability.

I am actually pretty good at doing these things most of the time, but I will put more thought and heart into them.

Day one scripture study: Helaman 3-4, Mark and Ponder 1 Nephi 3:7
Thought for the day; "It is the right and privilege of every man, every woman, every child who has reached the years of accountability, to enjoy the spirit of revelation, and to be possessed of the spirit of inspiration in the discharge of their duties as members of the church." Joseph R. Smith.

The scripture that stood out to me this morning and caused me to pause and ponder was this:
"Nevertheless they did fast and pray oft, and did wax stronger and stronger in their humility, and firmer and firmer in the faith of Christ, unto the filling their souls with joy and consolation, yea, even to the purify and the sanctification of their hearts, which sanctification cometh because of their yielding their hearts unto God." Helaman 3:35.

I love that the words "stronger" and "humility" were paired. In our individualistic, power seeking culture, developing humility is not often done. I'm afraid it is often looked upon as weakness rather than strength. But Helaman so aptly taught us that having humility is a strength to be sought after and one that will lead us to God. Google says that humility means "a modest or low view of one's own importance." Merriam-Webster.com adds that "the quality or state of not thinking you are better than other people. Ernest Hemingway says of humility, "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." And my personal favorite, C.S. Lewis, "True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less."  Oh how I love language and how the slight rearrangement of words changes the meaning of a phrase entirely!  Lastly, while there was no definition in the Bible Dictionary, sadly, the synonyms noted in the Topical Guide are "Contrite Heart; Meek; Poor in Spirit; Submissiveness; Teachable." I will definitely make an effort at becoming stronger in humility during the next 40 days.

"Firmer and firmer in the faith of Christ" is something I pray my children will become every day. In our increasingly "open" and "do what works for you" world, a firmness in faith along with the ability to stand up for absolute truth will become more of a challenge. We walk a fine line between love and compassion and allowing others to have their own beliefs while maintaining a firmness and an understanding of absolute truth and a commitment to our Covenants.

The results of humility and being firm in the faith of Christ are "the filling their souls with joy and consolation," The word, "joy" I get. It is a strong emotion, one that I have felt during different moments of my life and one that I have longed for in others. Consolation being paired with joy seemed a bit anticlimactic to me at first glance. Google changed my mind: "Comfort received by a person after a loss or disappointment." A synonym is compassion. I can think of no greater blessing than to have my "soul filled with consolation" for life's many losses and disappointments. I have had a desire for consolation on so many occasions. It is a gift I will now actively seek for during those times. 

I love that a synonym is compassion. I feel like we develop a greater compassion as we experience life's disappointments. We are better able to understand the feelings of others if we have had similar experiences or emotions. We can compassion and consolation with others from within ourselves as we also encourage them to seek it from our Maker. 

As we journey through humility and faith, as we receive joy and consolation, we will receive the "purifying and the sanctification of their hearts, which sanctification cometh because of their yielding their hearts unto God." Much could be said about sanctification, but I will just say that I know that that is goal. That is the result of the Savior's atonement combined with our own desires to follow Him and to have a repentant heart. We are neither perfect nor pure on our own, but can be made both through Christ's blood. 

"Yielding (our) hearts unto God" is probably the most challenging, yet essential of life's goals. Even as toddlers we wanted to do things by and for ourselves, even if we were not yet capable. Teenagers assert their willingness to be separate from their parents, to make their own choices, and to do as they choose. Adults are exactly the same way. It is human nature. We are here to learn to allow our spirits to prevail. To give up our own selfish, stubborn wills and to submit to the will of God will bring true and lasting joy and freedom. I say freedom rather than independence because they are different. Independence is a pursuit of the natural man; while acknowledging a dependence upon God is freeing. We are free of the conflicts and the effects of putting up a fight. We are free to truly experience joy and consolation. We are free to become what God knows we can become, which is far better than what we can imagine in our mortal minds.

The way to be stronger in humility, firmer in faith of Christ, joyful, consoled, and sanctified is to begin with fasting and prayer. That's it. So much is opened up to us by doing simple things. As part of this challenge I plan to fast every Sunday rather than the usual monthly fast. I will make my prayers me meaningful and I will listen and not just talk. Most of all, I will hope to become closer to what Helaman described the Nephites as being even midst the pride and persecution and affliction that surrounded them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"

As a mother stills her child,      Thou canst hush the ocean wild; From August to November of last year, Taylor has had four witnessed and likely two other grand mal seizures; all of them in his sleep. By the time he'd had his sixth the Sunday before Thanksgiving, I had reached the end of my rope. It was terrifying to see him stiffen, shake, foam at the mouth and turn purple for many minutes. This particular seizure was the worst and the longest. We were struggling to get him seen by a neurologist and I had decided to call the paramedics for the fourth time and this time to have him transported to the hospital even if he regained consciousness. He needed to be fast tracked to testing and medication.  Little did I know that that call would take me down a path I never in a million years imagined I would be on.  To summarize what happened after the paramedics arrived, they pushed me out of Taylor's room and refused to give me the time of day. Never mind, he has a complex medical h