Skip to main content

I Could Not Agree More

Today I attended that last PTA meeting of the year; it was my last as the president elect. Next year I will be at the helm with so very many capable people serving as the sails and the masts and the anchor and rudder. We will work together to keep up the tradition of greatness that has come before us. Nearly everyone has more experience and skills than I do. I am humbled that they have enough faith in me to have this opportunity. And by opportunity I mean I get to learn from and rub shoulders with such wonderful people who so willingly give whatever they have.

As part of the meeting there some well deserved thank you's. Principal Theler shared expressed his gratitude for what the PTA mom's as well a his teachers and staff do at the school, sharing that many of the things that get done are not done by him, but he gets credit for doing it. 

But the part that he shared that hit home to me the most was what he has learned from being a parent for nearly 17 years. At first, he said, he was worried about his children doing what was right. He may not have corrected his children with the kind tone he has since learned how to use. He shared how he is among the oldest three children in his family, there is a gap and then another three. He remarked how he and his siblings would comment on how their parents had changed and that they must have gotten tired of putting up the fight by the time the last three came around.

He now feels like they had learned how to be kinder and to let certain things get to them. I have had similar thoughts. I, being the oldest, felt like my parents must have been worn out by the time the younger kids came along too. Now that I have both older and younger kids, I realize that is is learning and growing that have happened in me as well as the other parents. 

I have never really wished I could go back and redo parts of my life except for parenting. I have often wished I could keep what I know and go back and re-parent my children. They would be so much better off the second time around! There are so many things I would not be so uptight about. My younger children have benefited from what I have learned from my older ones. I am a much more relaxed parent with the last two than I was with the first three.

I try to remember that as we go through things for the first time with Spencer. My dad used to call me the "guinea pig;" poor Spencer is mine. Even Taylor benefits from the things I learned from parenting Spencer. There is one thing that the younger kids wish I may not have learned, and that is that children will not be allowed to have their own pets! Spencer got to have a fish tank. Taylor has wanted a snake, the girls rodents or cats, but not that we are down to our dog, Sadie. That will be it for the pet department. 

Thank goodness children are reliant and that mine are turning out very well in spite of my mistakes. I'm grateful to God that He teaches me and inspires me to do or say things I would not have come up with on my own and that He forgives me and allows me to keep on growing. I'm grateful for loving, forgiving children too. There are so many things I have learned as a parent. Elder Bednar taught in April 2014 General Conference that it is the loads we bear that give us enough traction to make it safely through this life and into the next. At times the parenting load has been seemingly too much to bear, but I know that the growth I have experienced because of it has been part of my personal journey here.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"

As a mother stills her child,      Thou canst hush the ocean wild; From August to November of last year, Taylor has had four witnessed and likely two other grand mal seizures; all of them in his sleep. By the time he'd had his sixth the Sunday before Thanksgiving, I had reached the end of my rope. It was terrifying to see him stiffen, shake, foam at the mouth and turn purple for many minutes. This particular seizure was the worst and the longest. We were struggling to get him seen by a neurologist and I had decided to call the paramedics for the fourth time and this time to have him transported to the hospital even if he regained consciousness. He needed to be fast tracked to testing and medication.  Little did I know that that call would take me down a path I never in a million years imagined I would be on.  To summarize what happened after the paramedics arrived, they pushed me out of Taylor's room and refused to give me the time of day. Never mind, he has a complex medical h