Skip to main content

"Mom, Remember You Have 5 Kids Too"

Yesterday I was sustained to an additional calling, not a replacement. One of my friends, Corrine Prestwich was sitting in front of me and turned around and said,"So, I guess they saw five minutes left in your schedule and decided to fill it up." She knows of about my various hats I'll be wearing for the next year or more. I hadn't actually heard what she said so I just smiled and nodded, but Destry did and mentioned it when we got home. I had a good laugh mostly because she is one of the most busy, involved people I know. 

Emma was sitting there listening to the conversation and piped in with, "Mom remember you have 5 kids too."  The kids had not known about the new calling, so hearing my name come across the pulpit was a surprise to them. They wanted to know if I was going to be released from Primary. I think my Primary girls like having me there. I said that I wasn't. 

I have been thinking about her comment from the moment she said it, including all night long. I want to finish this post as a letter to my sweet daughter who has been the most distressed of all my kids about my getting a job.

Dear Emma,

Words cannot begin to express how much I love you and your sisters and brothers! You mean more to me than my own life. Everything I do, I do with you in mind. Everything. Even when I am not acting like Mary Poppins, "practically perfect" I am aware of you and your needs. I am sorry for my mistakes, but I want you to know that every decision I have ever made for the last 18 years has been with my children in mind. 

I said, "Yes," to the PTA position because I wanted to make a difference for you. I want you to see me working in the school on your behalf, as well as for the other kids there. I want you to know that volunteering in the community is important. It allows us to have a say, to be informed, and most importantly to serve. Service is a theme in my Patriarchal Blessing, and the purpose of Christ's life. Everything He did was for the benefit of someone else. He took time to Spiritually recharge and grow closer to His Father, but all that He did was four you and for me. I want to follow Him.

I say "Yes," to church callings because I have faith that the our leaders are inspired by God to invite certain people to serve in a certain capacity at a Divinely appointed time.Now is my time to be in Primary and on the Stake Relief Society Board. Again, I get to serve. You get to watch me. I got to spend the last year and a half of your Primary time with you. It was a blessing to me and I hope it was to you. I get to see you grow in Young Women's with leaders called of God to be there with you. 

I said "Yes," to the job opportunity because every time I paid the bills and there was barely enough to cover them, but not enough for the new shoes that you need because you have been wearing yours for so long they are falling apart, or because I can't buy you a new dress since you have grown so much and you have to wear the one that still fits. We can't go out to eat or on a vacation because there simply isn't enough funds to do that. 

I hope you will see that even moms can learn and grow. This job has been a learning experience for me. I know it will help me to grow and to become better. It will require some changes for our family, even some sacrifices by everyone. But we can work together and become closer and better because of it. Making sacrifices are not bad, we are learning to like our Savior who sacrificed His life for us.

The Lord takes care of us, we have gotten everything that we need, and right now we need for me to work so we can have a little more money to help our family be comfortable. I have had lots of emotions about this job. Gratitude. Guilt. Excitement. Fear. Peace. I know that the Lord will always be with us even when things are hard. You can ask Him to be with you and help you and give you peace. He does not always take away our problems, but He does make us stronger and allow us to feel His love. I know that you now have to help with with the laundry and with looking after your sisters, but I know that you can do it. 

Please know that I will always be there for you too. Sometimes you will have to ask. I cannot always know what you need. I am now and will always be a mom first. I have you and Estelle and Sarah and Taylor and Spencer in my mind and heart at all times. I pray for you and think of you every day. 

Thank you for loving me and for being my daughter. I could not be more grateful that we get to go through this life together. And that we get to be sealed as mother and daughter for eternity. I am so proud of the young woman you are becoming. I have loved seeing your excitement as you have begun middle school. This is a big step for you and you are handling it beautifully. Thank you for all you do for our family. 

Remembering that I have five kids too is what I do. It really is what I live for and why I do all of the other things that I do. What is important is that you know that. If you don't then that is what I need to convey to you. I will work on that and I hope that you will recognize it. 

Love,
Mom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

I Should Have Known, But I Didn't or It's Been a Year

I began this blog one year ago this month.  This is my 31st post.  That puts me at exactly 2.4 posts per month.  Not a world's record, but a personal best.  Up from the zippo I had before.  I started it so that my children would have some record of their family's life.  I haven't been very good at journal keeping in the past.  I have been hit or miss at best.  What I hadn't anticipated was how much I have enjoyed writing and reading this blog.  I have reread my posts, some of them several times.  They have made me laugh, cry and reminisce about my life.  I like to write, so it should not have been such a surprise.  But for some reason or other I didn't realize how much I would benefit from it.  Maybe next year I will average a 3 or even 4 posts each month.  I have ideas and notable life events that I could write about, but we shall see.