Skip to main content

The Dowager was Right

I have been a Downton Abbey fan since it first made its appearance on Netflix. I was sick enough to be in bed for a couple of days and needed something to pass the time. My sister, Renee, suggested I watch this strange sounding series. I was instantly hooked and I think I watched the entire first season in two days--or so. Then I started over and watched it again with Destry because I knew season 2 as on PBS at that time and I needed to win him over in order to continue watching it. He would prefer that you didn't know that he watched it all, so don't tell anyone.

We are one episode away from the final episode of season 6, which incidentally, will also be the final episode of all time. Much of the story line this season has been centered around the centralization of healthcare. A small, community hospital had been servicing the locals for generations, but the 1920's brought some major advances in healthcare that were costly and new. The Dowager and Lady Grantham were the two key players having opposite views. The Dowager had some support at first, but in the end, even the country doctor who had been her strongest ally switched sides. 

For most of the season I was thinking that the Dowager was just being stubborn, tradionalistic, and controlling. She's old and doesn't want to let go of what she had been familiar with. I learned the hard way that she was right and I was absolutely wrong about her.

To provide a little background into where I am going with this, Spencer has been struggling with depression and anxiety for some months now. He has been suicidal as well. None of this is new to us, but he has not really been functioning and it was becoming increasingly difficult to keep him safe.

We began seeing a psychiatrist in December and was hoping to get an appointment with a therapist we had used and liked in the past. He was unavailable and I have been having trouble deciding on another one.

Destry and I decided we needed inpatient treatment for him. We took him to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center. It took several hours of our time, we had  to tell our story to several people, and in the end he was admitted to a to a treatment center. The whole thing had to be their idea. I knew that. I played along until they wanted to transport him in an ambulance the short distance to another hospital. I told the poor social worker that if the doctor wanted to pay for the ride then that would be fine. Spencer was calm, my mom would be there to be the driver (Destry went home to be with the other kids) and I could sit in the back seat with him for the five minute drive.

The social worker told me she would advocate that for me. I said, "You do that honey, but neither you nor the doctor are the boss of my son and I. I voluntarily drove him to this hospital and I can voluntarily drive him out." She later told me the good news that I would be able to drive him myself. What I wanted to say was, "Damn straight." What I actually said was, "Thank you very much." With a smile, I might add. I had done my ranting. I got what I wanted, but they still had to think it was their idea.

Had we lived a couple of centuries ago this whole scenario would not have taken place, putting aside that mental health was issues were dealt with much differently than they are now. I would have gone to a doctor I knew, not a big establishment more concerned with avoiding a lawsuit than really listening to what I needed. Indeed, something has been lost with the big, efficient, modern medicine we enjoy. The human piece has been replaced with assembly line healthcare. Once you step inside the establishment's doors you play by their rules. They tell you what and when to eat, sleep, even drink. My son reported that if he didn't drink a certain amount of ounces each day he would be reprimanded.

I am not ungrateful for safety and help he received in the establishment, it was just a very robotic experience. Violet Crawley knew exactly what she was giving up when the new, modern hospital moved in. She vehemently tried to hold on to the sense of caring and community she knew she was giving up. Even when she stood alone. She was most definitely right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"

As a mother stills her child,      Thou canst hush the ocean wild; From August to November of last year, Taylor has had four witnessed and likely two other grand mal seizures; all of them in his sleep. By the time he'd had his sixth the Sunday before Thanksgiving, I had reached the end of my rope. It was terrifying to see him stiffen, shake, foam at the mouth and turn purple for many minutes. This particular seizure was the worst and the longest. We were struggling to get him seen by a neurologist and I had decided to call the paramedics for the fourth time and this time to have him transported to the hospital even if he regained consciousness. He needed to be fast tracked to testing and medication.  Little did I know that that call would take me down a path I never in a million years imagined I would be on.  To summarize what happened after the paramedics arrived, they pushed me out of Taylor's room and refused to give me the time of day. Never mind, he has a complex medical h