Skip to main content

Piano Teacher

I was about 12 years old when my parents bought a piano. It was an old extra tall upright and I could not have been happier. During my elementary school years I would sit and listen to the pianists play during the talent shows, wishing I could do that too.  Shortly after making the piano purchase my mom began taking piano lessons from a friend, Loris Hayes. Loris also was the accompanist to a women's quartet that my mom sang with. The only time my mom could find time to practice was after we children had gone to bed;I would hear her practice and wanted to learn as well. 

I had been babysitting for a few families for a couple of years by then. I can't imagine hiring a ten year old to babysit, but I guess I was mature and responsible for my age. Or the neighbors were hard up for cheap labor. I choose to believe the first explanation.  I decided that I would use my hard earned $1.00 an hour wage to pay for myself to take piano lessons. Money was tight while I was growing up and if I wanted lessons I knew I would have to pay for them. 

Because my mom was already taking lessons, my lessons cost $4.00/half hour. This was a dollar discount for a second family member taking from Sister Hayes. For every four hours of babysitting I was able to procure the necessary payment. I went every week for 3-4 school years. Loris was kind and undemanding. I used the same piano books that my mom used. I didn't learn the names of the notes right away, I just memorized where the note was in the staff in relationship to the keyboard without knowing their names. When Loris figured this out she began using flash cards to quiz me and taught me the traditional "Every Good Boy Does Fine," and All Cows Eat Grass" statements for the spaces and lines of the treble clef. She didn't teach me very much theory, she knew it for sure. Nor did she require memorization. I don't blame her, but I wish I were better at both. She did gently teach me to play. I will forever be grateful to her for this. 

I am not very good now, but I can play a melody when I need to learn a singing part and play most of the Hymns with a bit of practice now. I enjoy sitting at the piano and playing from time to time and wish I would make more time to do it. I have never had a piano playing calling, but I have filled in at church from time to time in Relief Society or Primary and have accompanied my mom and sisters on occasion.

In addition to being a kind piano teacher, Loris was one of mine and my mom's favorite accompanists. She was a skilled player and could sight read almost anything you put in front of her. She also listened to us and followed us perfectly. I loved singing when she was at the piano. She played the piano for a women's chorus, The Musettes, in Springville for many years. I recently learned that she played the organ in her LDS ward for 50 years. 

Three weeks ago my mom called to tell me this fact that was previously unknown to me, and to also tell me that her eyesight has been failing for some time and that she had just asked to be released from that calling. I am sure it was with a somewhat heavy heart that she did. Piano and organ playing is in her blood and it shows. She no doubt blessed the lives of hundreds of people throughout her years of playing. She certainly blessed mine. My heart is full of gratitude to her now as I am writing this. I hope she knows this. I hope she finds joy in her musical memories and can continue to play in her home. She is aging and will some day return to the One who gave her this gift. I am sure the angels will welcome her and be the new beneficiaries of her ability. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"

As a mother stills her child,      Thou canst hush the ocean wild; From August to November of last year, Taylor has had four witnessed and likely two other grand mal seizures; all of them in his sleep. By the time he'd had his sixth the Sunday before Thanksgiving, I had reached the end of my rope. It was terrifying to see him stiffen, shake, foam at the mouth and turn purple for many minutes. This particular seizure was the worst and the longest. We were struggling to get him seen by a neurologist and I had decided to call the paramedics for the fourth time and this time to have him transported to the hospital even if he regained consciousness. He needed to be fast tracked to testing and medication.  Little did I know that that call would take me down a path I never in a million years imagined I would be on.  To summarize what happened after the paramedics arrived, they pushed me out of Taylor's room and refused to give me the time of day. Never mind, he has a complex medical h