Skip to main content

My Spartan Warrior is 20!

My oldest baby just turned 20 on August 10th. Yesterday I went with him to his therapist, Dan Daley. Most of the time he has been going alone for the past year or more, but I wanted to go with him then to discuss an observation that Destry had made. I'm so glad I did, I learned more about what is going on with him and maybe how to look at him differently. 

Destry mentioned that there were about two weeks straight where he was very forgetful at work, not just forgetting things that he was newly learning, but also forgetting things that he already knew. He also could not find things that were literally right in front of him. Spencer seemed to be unusually worried about his car racing event in the days leading up to it. Destry and I wondered if that was the cause. It wasn't. He was better afterwards, even though he had lost his radiator and missed one of his track times.  His radiator is fixed, but he now needs four new tires. He is taking all of this in stride. He has been fine since then, like something switched in his brain. I have seen this many times before.

Spencer told Dr. Dan that his mind felt foggy when he was anxious. Dan explained that anxiety changes our brain. It gave me the example of having test anxiety and not being able to figure out an answer during the test, but after walking out of the test having the answer come almost immediately to mind. When we are out of the stressful situation, our mind is clearer. It is almost like Spencer has two different brains. 

I have been spending most of Spencer's life watching for triggers and patterns that may or may not be there. It has proven very frustrating because while we may think we have identified some, we are still baffled and nothing seems to fit neatly into any pattern. That is because Spencer's anxiety is in his genes, "ghost genes," as Dr. Daley called them. He says that he calls people like Spencer, "Spartan Warriors." If he were living in the days of having to protect your family and your food from your neighbors or predators he would have done very well. He then shared a personal experience from his youth when he was frozen with fear and his friend had taken a karate pose and was ready to take on bigger, older boys who were ready to fight them. Fortunately for them all someone called the police and they all scattered. The "fight or flight" response is stronger for some people and they are constantly on the ready to defend and fight for their lives. On a side note, Destry and Spencer would have done very well when "survival of the fittest" was the rule of the day. Taylor, Sarah and I would be dead. Emma and Estelle would likely have lasted for some time, but their size and gender would definitely have put them at a disadvantage. 

He told us that when the brain is in survival mode it is not concerned with remembering skills or tasks that are not meant for survival. It seems strange, but I am relieved that I don't have to watch out for things that may or may not be the cause of his stress. I just need to help him calm down in the moment and not think too far into the future. Looking into the future is definitely trouble for him. 

Spencer has so many things going for him. He is kind, smart, sensitive, friendly, spiritual, funny, determined, a leader, and handsome. I don't know why human evolution hasn't been kind to him. In fact, I told him on our way home from the appointment that I had a few questions to ask God when I see him. He told me he has a whole list! 

During the past couple of years, Spencer has watched several friends go on missions. Two of them have recently returned. I love how supportive he is and how excited he is to greet his friends when they get home. He isn't awkward or feeling bad about himself. He seems to have found peace with the path he is on. He has maintained friendships with those who are still around. Some of his friends are making choices different from what Spencer's standards are. He doesn't judge them and he isn't persuaded to follow them either. I am so proud of the stalwart young man that he is. 

After Spencer graduated from college he bought a Nissan Xterra. It seemed like a practical choice to Destry and I. He could take friends, dates, and DJ equipment wherever he needed to go and he could do it in any weather. However, he had other plans in mind. He used Grandpa Crump as the bank and faithfully made payments for a few months. He decided that a Mazda Miata was a better choice for him and he found one he really wanted for a good price. He also put his Nissan up for sale. Someone wanted to trade a Harley Davidson motorcycle for the Nissan. He did some research and felt like the motorcycle was worth more money and grandpa gave his approval so he made the trade. He bought the sporty car and began taking racing lessons at Utah Motorsports Campus in Tooele. It was scary to me at first, but I went to watch and see what exactly he was doing and felt a lot better.

He had an instructor in the car with him and there were lots of safety rules. His car had to be checked out before it was approved for the track and while he was driving he was only allowed to pass or be passed on the straight ways and only then when the car in front waved them past. There was a training session at the beginning of each day and after each time on the track. The drivers received feedback and learned tips too.

It was a friendly, helpful environment with a lot of cool cars around. I can see what he was drawn to. It was fun for me to be there too.  It has been good for him to do, but has kept him poor. It took longer than he had hoped and he received less money than he had hoped for the Harley, but it is finally out of my garage. He has learned some car maintenance too.

He is learning that adulting is not always as great as it seems from the teenage years. It is expensive, you have to work and pay for things. You can't always play. He is easing into it gracefully and is more appreciative of his parents :) 

He started school at Salt Lake Community College yesterday. He is taking one math class on campus and an online fitness class.  I hope it works out for him; he is still trying to figure out what he wants to be when he grows up. He said his class went well and will continue to work for Destry.  I know he'll figure it out and he'll do well at whatever he chooses. He has to work harder than most people to make it through each day, but he is doing it and I couldn't be prouder. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"

As a mother stills her child,      Thou canst hush the ocean wild; From August to November of last year, Taylor has had four witnessed and likely two other grand mal seizures; all of them in his sleep. By the time he'd had his sixth the Sunday before Thanksgiving, I had reached the end of my rope. It was terrifying to see him stiffen, shake, foam at the mouth and turn purple for many minutes. This particular seizure was the worst and the longest. We were struggling to get him seen by a neurologist and I had decided to call the paramedics for the fourth time and this time to have him transported to the hospital even if he regained consciousness. He needed to be fast tracked to testing and medication.  Little did I know that that call would take me down a path I never in a million years imagined I would be on.  To summarize what happened after the paramedics arrived, they pushed me out of Taylor's room and refused to give me the time of day. Never mind, he has a complex medical h