Skip to main content

An Answered Prayer and a New Challenge

Emma has struggled with friends for the past several years. Some of her childhood friends either moved away or moved on. Some friends did not have the same standards she did and  so they drifted apart. For about a year she has been almost friendless. She has friends at church and she would talk to kids at school, but she had no one she could hang out with on the weekends. I had been praying for her for quite some time, but a couple of months ago we decided to fast and pray together. 

In December she started a job at "Chubby's" it is a local burger and shake joint. It has pretty good food and is close by. Spencer worked there for a few months when he was in high school. The owners are cool, they are closed on Sundays, and the kids are home by 10 on weeknights. Those are all pluses to this job. 

When I dropped Emma off for her first shift. Ashlynn was also walking in the door. Ashlynn is a girl who became somewhat of a friend at the end of ninth grade, but they didn't see each other at all over the summer. They were happy to see each other and Emma gave her a hug. At least she knows someone who works there too. 

Well, the kids at Chubby's have been very welcoming to Emma. She has gotten dates and found new friends she started working there. She has lots of people calling, texting, and wanting to hang out with her. She even told me that there are to girls who work there who fight over Emma's attention.

She and I both recognize the answer to our prayer. She is happy, bubbly and pushing the boundaries. We try to reserve Monday nights for Family Home Evening and I don't want her to work more than 2-3 shifts each week. She still has homework, mountain biking, family responsibilities, etc. The owners only schedule the kids for two shifts each week, but she was picking up extra shifts from kids. She got behind in school and was missing FHE regularly. If her boss schedules her on Monday we try to adjust FHE, but she was asking to work on Mondays or taking shifts from other kids so she could work with a cute boy who usually worked on Mondays. She just now called me from school asking if she could work at 7 tonight and close for someone else. She knew the answer, but thought she would ask anyway. 

She was asked out on a date by a boy she was acquainted with last year in her seminary class, but lost contact with. He, by the way, doesn't work at Chubby's. She told me they were planning to go mountain biking, to dinner, then to his house. I said, "Great, who is the other couple who will be going with them?" She tried to tell me it wasn't a date and that she had been mountain biking with other boys before. Taylor and I told her it sounded like a date to us and reminded her that she needed to double date until she graduates from high school. 

She is a good girl with a solid testimony of Jesus Christ. She is just having new experiences and hoping to push the boundaries along with it. She hasn't done this much before so that part is kind of annoying even though I am actually so happy that she is having fun, social experiences. I want her to have good memories of high school and learn how to have fun with peers. She is doing that and I am so grateful!

She went to one casual school dance with a mountain biking friend and had fun at the date and dinner beforehand, but she did not enjoy the dance. She told a recent "crush" of hers that she didn't like dances. I hope she doesn't tell too many boys that because I would like her to go to at least one formal/semiformal dance during high school. 

We will see what the future holds, but for now she is loving life and I am loving watching her grow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"

As a mother stills her child,      Thou canst hush the ocean wild; From August to November of last year, Taylor has had four witnessed and likely two other grand mal seizures; all of them in his sleep. By the time he'd had his sixth the Sunday before Thanksgiving, I had reached the end of my rope. It was terrifying to see him stiffen, shake, foam at the mouth and turn purple for many minutes. This particular seizure was the worst and the longest. We were struggling to get him seen by a neurologist and I had decided to call the paramedics for the fourth time and this time to have him transported to the hospital even if he regained consciousness. He needed to be fast tracked to testing and medication.  Little did I know that that call would take me down a path I never in a million years imagined I would be on.  To summarize what happened after the paramedics arrived, they pushed me out of Taylor's room and refused to give me the time of day. Never mind, he has a complex medical h