Skip to main content

Funeral Day Miracle

My mom was blessed with good friends throughout her life. One childhood friendship that continued throughout adulthood was with Kathleen Child Card, aka Kay. I have fond memories both of our families getting together for birthdays, holidays, weekend excursions, etc. I even babysat for Kay. Kay was a member of "Club," a group of high school classmates that would get together monthly to laugh ,eat, play games, and give and receive support from one another. This Club lasted for years. It eventually fizzled down to a couple of times a year including when Kay was in town. I currently have no idea if they still get together at all. 

Kay and her husband Brian drove to Utah to attend my mom's funeral. We asked her to play the organ for the congregational hymns and to accompany the grandchildren as they sang "Together Forever." The only scheduled practice with Kay was to be right before the funeral. Kay and Brian were staying with their son, Kendall and his family, in Kamas. The drive from Kamas to Springville should take a little over an hour. 

The Cards left Kamas with ample time to get to to the funeral and to practice with the kids and play prelude music before the funeral started. They had car trouble on the way. We had no idea until the pulled up to my mom's house after all the viewing, funeral, graveside service, and luncheon were completed. We commented on the really nice truck the came in and the proceeded to tell us that it belonged to a complete stranger. How they came to be driving the truck was a story I will share now. I asked Kay to write it down. She did and hand delivered to the Smith Clan a couple of weeks ago while we were having our usual Sunday dinner gathering. These are her words:


Provo Canyon Miracle
October 9, 2017

The morning of Monday, October 9, 2017, Brian and I left our son's home in Kamas, Utah, and headed toward Springville, Utah, for the funeral service of my lifelong friend, Shirley Renee Luce Smith. We were driving our 2008 Nissan Rogue. We proceeded through Heber City, Utah, and then headed into Provo Canyon. As we approached Deer Creek Reservoir we heard a horrible noise in our car. Both of us were startled and expressed concern at what was happening. Because of previous experience with this car, we were cautious and apprehensive about the reliability of the car.

Brian immediately pulled to the side of the road to check out the car. I was distraught and upset, worried and concerned that w might not be able to get to the funeral service. I had been asked to play the organ for the service and provide prelude and postlude music. Not only that, I just needed to be at Shirley's funeral. I was sad, angry, upset and I began crying--a lot. Brian got out of the car to see what he could find out. He looked under the car, under the hood, walked around the car. I also got out of the car. I walked away form the car, crying and very upset. I tried making a call to my sister, Julie best, and my daughter-in-law, Cynthia Card. However, because of where we were in the canyon there was no cell service. That caused me to become more upset, more distraught, and cry even harder. I needed to get to the funeral. I had been asked to provide the music and this was my friend, whose service I was going to attend. We had come all the way form Portland, OR, so that we could attend her service. I was away from the car, not paying any attention to Brian. I folded my arms, crying and remaining upset, and prayed to Heavenly Father. I asked for his help in getting us to Springville so that we could attend the funeral. I plead with him to help us find a way.

A few minutes later a man in a white car pulled up behind our vehicle. He got out and approached Brian asking what was wrong with our ar. Brian explained about the noise the car was making and that we were headed down to Springville to attend a funeral. The man's name was Wes and he began talking about giving us a ride to the funeral. Not long after he arrived another man pulled up behind us. This man, Dan, was driving a big white truck. As he was walking past me he said, "Did your car break down?" and I answered him by saying, "I certainly hope not."

Dan, Wes, and Brian continued to talk about the car, looking over it several times. Dan asked Brian to drive it forward and backward. Then Dan asked Brian if he could drive the car down the road a little and come back. He did that and when he returned he told us that he felt that we shouldn't drive the car down to the valley. He told us that a friend of his owned an auto body shop in Heber, Rocky Mountain Collision. He told us that he could drive our car to Heber City and he would have his friend check it out.

Now the question was how we would get to the funeral in Springville. Wes said that he could drive us down to Springville. Dan then offered to let us take his truck and he would drive our car to Heber City to get repaired. We questioned him about what he would drive after he dropped off our car, but he said that he had several trucks in his business and he could use one of them. After the funeral we would bring his truck back to Heber City and exchange the vehicles. Brian told Dan that we would probably be gone all day. He said that would be okay.

After several conversations, Brian, Dan and Wes exchanged names, phone numbers, business cards and information. We took our belongings out of the car and put them into the truck. Dan gave us the keys to his truck and we left for the funeral. As we drove away Brian said, "Most people think angels are dressed in white. Well, these weren't." I then replied, "No, but they were driving white cars."

That day we were so blessed. God does answer prayers. Angels do help on earth today, and they are not dressed in white. Both of these men were originally driving back up the canyon toward Hebe City when they turned their vehicles around to come assist us. Not one--but two of them. Miracles do happen in this day and age. 

After we had arrived at the funeral and before the service began, Brian received a phone call from Wes saying that he checked on our car and it was all repaired. He asked the man at the auto body shop what the cost was and was told there was not charge. A few minutes later Dan called Brian and told him that his car was repaired, what the problem had been , and that there was no charge.

I was so grateful for Heavenly Father answering my prayer. "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not to thine own understanding. In all they ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy paths." We were truly blessed for trusting in the Lord. He answered my prayer and blessed my life that day. tow men--total strangers, stopped to help us. They could have driven by us and continued on their way, but the didn't They offered us help. And or Dan to hand over the keys to his $70,000 (est.) truck to an unknown couple--people whom he didn't know, and then trust them. That was incredible.

After we drove back to Heber City to pick up our car and return the truck to Dan, I talked with him and thanked him for what he had done for us. His reply, "Well, isn't that what you are supposed to do." Yes, but not everyone does that. 

About nine days later, Brian was driving his truck to Washington State to deliver an organ to a church congregation. Just before reaching Hood River his truck quit working. He was able to get it somewhat off the side of the road before the long wait for assistance. He called our home teacher, David Peters, and asked him for help. This was a Saturday about 1:20 p.m. It was raining and miserable. Brother Peters left Tualatin and drove to Hood River, about 80 miles away and helped Brian move his truck off the road, unhitched the trailer and drove into Hood River. They then contacted the church who had purchased our organ. The people form the church hooded up their trailer and drove to Hood River to pick up the organ.

After that happened, Brother Peters and Brian drove back to Tualatin, turned in the trailer, picked up another trailer so they could two the truck, changed clothes, had a bite to eat, and went back to Hood River to retrieve our truck. They arrived back at our home about 10:30 p.m. This was our second visit by angels not wearing white.

As much as we are so grateful for the help of our wonderful home teacher, it is sad to note that Brian sat on the road side,not pulled off as far as needed and was honked at several times for being partially in traffic. Inf act, an Oregon State police office drove past him and did not stop to assist him  or even ask what was wrong. I realize it's scary to stop on the road side and offer assistance. But we are so very grateful that two men in white vehicles stopped in Provo Canyon, Utah, to help us arrive safely to the funeral of our dear friend, Shirley Renee Luce Smith. My heart continues to be filled with gratitude for the blessings we received not once, but twice within a two week period of time in October 2017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"

As a mother stills her child,      Thou canst hush the ocean wild; From August to November of last year, Taylor has had four witnessed and likely two other grand mal seizures; all of them in his sleep. By the time he'd had his sixth the Sunday before Thanksgiving, I had reached the end of my rope. It was terrifying to see him stiffen, shake, foam at the mouth and turn purple for many minutes. This particular seizure was the worst and the longest. We were struggling to get him seen by a neurologist and I had decided to call the paramedics for the fourth time and this time to have him transported to the hospital even if he regained consciousness. He needed to be fast tracked to testing and medication.  Little did I know that that call would take me down a path I never in a million years imagined I would be on.  To summarize what happened after the paramedics arrived, they pushed me out of Taylor's room and refused to give me the time of day. Never mind, he has a complex medical h