Skip to main content

He Was a Stranger

Last year Spencer decided he wanted to take his car racing hobby to the next level. He and a couple of other racing friends decided they wanted to try the "enduro," a six hour race with multiple drivers. His car was not ready, but he would spend several months and several dollars to prepare it. I, somewhat begrudgingly, gave up my garage for the winter to give the boys a sheltered workspace. Taylor spent hours upon hours building a roll cage. He, Spencer, and a friend, Tycho spent many additional hours pulling out unnecessary parts to make the car lighter and replacing others to make it  race ready. 

Spencer would use the car in the monthly weekend races beginning in March to break in both the car and the driver. And then Covid 19 happened. Everything came to a screeching halt. No more school. No more going to church. No more family dinners. No more hanging out with friends.  And no more racing.  After a couple of months of complete "No's," permission was granted to hold the races, but without spectators and with limited staff. There would also be no instructing, which was especially disappointing because instructing was a way for Spencer to get his fees paid for. One by one the rookie enduro team backed out. Spencer was grateful he got to try out his newly remodeled car and get back out on the track for the monthly races and he could look forward to the enduro for another year as it is an annual event. He could still sign up to be a race official as he had done in the years past and had a great experience. 

Three weeks ago Boli, a driver, mechanic shop owner, and who I am going to dub the "team captain," approached Matt Guiver, not to be confused with MacGyver, NASA's head instructor and they guy who would be able to sign Spencer off for a racing license. Boli had raced against Spencer in July and was impressed with his skill. Matt agreed that Spencer could get his license, but that would mean he also needed to have a physical, the likes of which the physician had never before seen. He also needed a fireproof racing suit, shoes, gloves, socks, neck brace, as well as a communication system installed in his helmet, which he already owned. He was able to order the necessary equipment and get everything lined up for the big day. To say that he was over the moon would be an understatement. 

The day before the race was the first time Spencer had met most of the race team. The pit chief had flown in from Brazil for the event. They had an area set up with a trailer, tables, chairs and canopies for protection from the blazing hot sun. I wanted to meet Boli and thank him for giving Spencer this opportunity. I also introduced myself to a few others. I felt a warm reception.  We were invited to join them in their staging area.I loved watching the comraderie that existed between the team and extended to Spencer. He received fist bumps and hugs along with the expected instructions and feedback. The six hour race would be spread out among three drivers. As the rookie he was initially given a one hour time slot, which he gratefully accepted. He was the lone driver in the 20 minute qualifying race that put their team in second place at the start line. He was very consistent throughout his time on the track and his teammates were pleased, he was asked if he wanted to drive for a second hour, but  declined. 

When he finished his hour, he looked like he had been a part of the group for ages. He smoothly unbuckled all the restraints, got out of the car and helped the next driver get all set. The photographer gave him a can of juice and when our family was congratulating him on a job well done, the "team grandma" brought each of us a bottle of water. There is already talk of Spencer working with the team captain and preparing for next year. There was a calm encouraging vibe among the group. It is what Spencer needs. They are competitive and want to win, but they only provided Spencer with positive feedback and were not bothered by the extra minute that was added to their time as a penalty for his driving too fast in the pit zone. It is a common citation and his teammates also received one. 

My heart swelled as I watched Spencer, who, up until a short time ago was unknown to the group, become fully accepted as their own.  He has had soooo many people take him under their wing and offer advice, tools, and friendship. Destry and I spoke with one of his mentors last night and felt like we were being given valuable parenting advice. 

35 For I was an ahungred, and ye bgave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a cstranger, and ye took me in:

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have adone it unto one of the bleast of these my cbrethren, ye have done it unto me.

I know that God notices the kindnesses offered to His children. My family and I have been the recipients many times, including at the race last night. Spencer had been a stranger, but was taken in. We all were, and we were given drink and shelter and a sense of belonging. I am grateful for good people who reach out and help even when they don't realize how much they are needed. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"

As a mother stills her child,      Thou canst hush the ocean wild; From August to November of last year, Taylor has had four witnessed and likely two other grand mal seizures; all of them in his sleep. By the time he'd had his sixth the Sunday before Thanksgiving, I had reached the end of my rope. It was terrifying to see him stiffen, shake, foam at the mouth and turn purple for many minutes. This particular seizure was the worst and the longest. We were struggling to get him seen by a neurologist and I had decided to call the paramedics for the fourth time and this time to have him transported to the hospital even if he regained consciousness. He needed to be fast tracked to testing and medication.  Little did I know that that call would take me down a path I never in a million years imagined I would be on.  To summarize what happened after the paramedics arrived, they pushed me out of Taylor's room and refused to give me the time of day. Never mind, he has a complex medical h