Skip to main content

It's Great to Be 8!

Eight years ago on May 4, I gave birth to a free-spirited strawberry blond girl.  I considered briefly not finding her gender at the scheduled ultrasound, but I couldn't wait.  I was thrilled to find out that I would be having a second daughter.  Emma would have a sister!  Estelle was an easy baby and easily transitioned into our family, but once she could walk things have never been the same!  She can be demanding, yet sensitive; curious, yet afraid; confident, yet shy and I am grateful for the eight great years I have spend with her so far!

My pregnancy with her was the most difficult I had had.  I was nauseous for the whole nine months.  I was tired and so ready for her to arrive.  On the night of May 2, I had regular contractions until around 3:00 a.m.  In fact, I was seriously considering calling my mom to come to our home to stay with Spencer, Taylor and Emma, but they stopped.  I knew I had a doctor's appointment the next day, so I wasn't too worried about anything and I went to bed for a few hours.  I had had about 12 hours of contractions with Taylor then they stopped for a day and I went into labor and gave birth to him after another 24 hours.  I thought this time might follow the same pattern.

I was pleasantly surprised to be dilated nearly to 5 cm. when the doctor checked me.  We discussed options of her breaking my water, or waiting until she decided to come.  This was a Wednesday and Dr. Lawrence would be leaving town on Friday for the weekend to visit her mother for Mother's Day.  I was nervous about going into labor and having her at home, and I preferred that Dr. Lawrence deliver her.   It seems to take the longest to dilate to a five and Emma was born in just 5 1/2 hours of labor.  So, we decided to go for that day!  I stopped at Destry's shop in Lehi and told him to be home in an hour so we could head over to the hospital.  I packed my bag, called family members and for the first time walked into the hospital without being in labor.  It was, quite frankly, a little weird.  The nurses were ready for me, but the doctor wasn't.  She had other deliveries to attend to, so she didn't break my water until after 5:00 p.m.  We arrived around 3:00.  Even though I wasn't having an epidural I still was given an IV with antibiotics because I tested positive for strep B.  My mom, Destry and I just talked and watched a landing from a Life Flight helicopter. 

The contractions started soon after having my water broken.  I had both Taylor and Emma without any pain medication and I planned on doing the same this time.  My water broke on its own shortly before they were born and I had no idea the amount of pain I would be in for having to have my water broken and go through two hours of contractions.  I felt like I barely had time to catch my breath between them and I would have this wave of terror wash over me as each one began.  It lasted for less than two hours, but I was traumatized enough to get an epidural when I was induced with Sarah. 

When I was dilated to 8 cm.  I told the nurse to call the doctor because I knew things would go quickly from there.  When I felt ready to push and the doctor was not yet there, a nurse started blowing in my face telling me to breathe and not push.  It was annoying to say the least.  After a few pushes she arrived safely and soundly, but I could not enjoy her immediately because I was still in a lot of pain.  Delivering the placenta had been a non issue before; in fact, the doctors just eased it out, without any ado.  This time the doctor had to push on my tummy and pull on the cord and I had to push a couple of times.  After the placenta was delivered, the contractions finally stopped.  Dr. Lawrence had to stitch me up and I felt every stitch even though she had numbed me. 

When I got to enjoy my baby we had both been cleaned up.  It was a joy to hold her, look into her eyes and wonder what she would say if she could speak.  I am sure she would have told me that my fathers, both earthly and Heavenly saw her off and sent the love I could feel radiating from her. They would have shared love with her as I was feeling love for her.  Her blessing day was sweet, but I missed the presence of my father who had passed away just nine months prior to her birth.  We had been trying to conceive for six months before we actually did.  This was new.  I had always gotten pregnant very easily.  I do not know if the spirits in the preexistence and the spirit world are allowed to visit each other, but I like to think that they do.  Maybe, since she was not to know him in this life the delay allowed the two of them to spend time together before she began her time on earth. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"

As a mother stills her child,      Thou canst hush the ocean wild; From August to November of last year, Taylor has had four witnessed and likely two other grand mal seizures; all of them in his sleep. By the time he'd had his sixth the Sunday before Thanksgiving, I had reached the end of my rope. It was terrifying to see him stiffen, shake, foam at the mouth and turn purple for many minutes. This particular seizure was the worst and the longest. We were struggling to get him seen by a neurologist and I had decided to call the paramedics for the fourth time and this time to have him transported to the hospital even if he regained consciousness. He needed to be fast tracked to testing and medication.  Little did I know that that call would take me down a path I never in a million years imagined I would be on.  To summarize what happened after the paramedics arrived, they pushed me out of Taylor's room and refused to give me the time of day. Never mind, he has a complex medical h