Skip to main content

My Mothers

With Mother's Day just three days away and a recent service given me by my mother, I have been thinking about the love I have for my three moms.  The woman who gave me life, Shirley Renee Luce Smith; the woman who gave my husband life, Sherrie Lynn Horrocks Macdonald and the mother who came into my husband's life during his teenage years, Claudia Walkenhorst Crump have all had an influence on me.  I love them all.  They all continue to serve their families in ways both seen and unseen.

Several weeks ago my sister-in-law, JuNette, asked if I wanted to attend BYU Women's Conference with her this year.  Heck ya!  Two days of uplifting, inspirational, motivating talks, fun talks with JuNette, mint brownies and no children...I didn't even need to look at the calendar.  I was going.  She suggested we stay in a hotel closer to BYU and, to be honest, it would be way more fun to have girl talk at night instead of making sure kids were in bed.  When one couldn't be found I asked my mom if we could stay at her place.  The two kid bedrooms have been turned into guest bedrooms.  It is quiet, clean, child free, oh and closer to BYU than my house. 

When JuNette and I arrived at my mom's last Wednesday evening she had yummy treats for us to try.  We had comfortable beds with clean sheets.  She hung up fresh towels for us and made sure there was soap in the shower that rarely gets used any more.  On Thursday we had crumpets with lemon curd and other tasty spreads, cereal and juice.  She had also purchased yogurt and string cheese as well as chocolatey snacks for us to take with us.  On Friday morning she made sourdough waffles and bacon and replenished our snacks for the day.  We were also treated to hugs and family prayers.  It was a joy to visit with her and while I shouldn't have been surprised at the pampering, I was.  Having been a mother for    
14 1/2 years now, I have gotten used to doing most of the caring.  It touched my heart to have my mom take care of me again, or rather still.  I am sure I didn't notice all the sacrifices she has made for me over the years and I need to appreciate her more, but I am grateful to her not for just what she does for me, but for who she is. 

Every Sunday she makes dinner for my family.  Every other week, my local siblings come too.  It is a lot of chaotic fun.  On the other weeks she makes dinner for just us, the Crumps.  She always has waffles for the kids and a menu that the adults enjoy.  There is always dessert.  It is great to be able to have that connection with my siblings and their kids.  I know that these Sunday dinners will be treasured memories for both my children and me.  The last memory I have of my dad was at one of these dinners.

My beloved mother-in-law, Sherrie sadly passed away almost three years ago.  We remember her for birthday dates, chocolate and strawberry shakes, trips to the park, gardening and camping at her beloved Acord Lakes property.  She was also a gifted artist and seamstress.  She made several dresses for the girls and decorated her home with her paintings and homemade crafts.  The Christmas before she died I asked her if she would make my kids warm quilts for their beds.  She did, and every winter night, they are wrapped the warmth of her quilts and her love. 

She was very receptive to promptings from the Spirit.  Many times revelation would come to her in her dreams.  She almost always knew when a new grandchild was on their way even before it had been announced.  I will never forget when I had only just found out that I was pregnant with Spencer and she asked me directly, "Are you pregnant."  I was surprised and a bit taken back.  I had to say, "Yes," even though I wanted to make some sort of grand announcement at a later date.  I loved it when she would call just to see how we were doing.  The healthier she was the more often she called and the longer she would chat.  I knew she wasn't well when I hadn't heard from her for a while.  My husband has told me of numerous occasions when she would call him when he was a single young adult at times when he needed her most.  Her "mother's intuition" seemed to be more acute than most. 

I have been grateful for a bit of advice she gave to me years ago.  It is simple and I'm sure she has no idea how much I think of it when I'm doing my mothering.  I was complaining to her about how much I wished that Taylor would take more initiative in taking care of his skin.  I provided him with creams and lotions that would soothe the itchiness and irritation of his eczema and I thought that he would want to do something about it himself. Yet the only time he got "slicked up" as we called it was when I did it.   "He's a kid," she said, "he doesn't have time for that kind of thing."  That struck a chord in my mind and heart.  I think back on that tip often when I'm feeling frustrated that one of my children isn't doing something that I think he/she ought to.  They are children, doing child-like things and there are many things they simply don't have time for.

The theme of my patriarchal blessing is that of service and I need look no further than my other dear mother-in-law, Claudia, for an example of what service looks like.  She serves her family, she serves her friends, she serves her community, she serves in her church, and I am confident she has and would serve a complete stranger who may be in need.  The few acts of service she has rendered that I actually know about are a small fraction of all that she does.  When she and Leon moved to Panguitch, Utah several years ago there was no community celebration.  Claudia learned of a story of when early settlers were starving during a harsh winter a group of men laid out quilts on top of the deep snow in order to walk to Parowan to get supplies.  She used this as inspiration to organize what is called the "Quilt Walk."  There are numerous activities spanning the first week of June every year.  She also helped raise funds and find a spot for a beautiful bronze statue recognizing the men who went on that first quilt walk.

She is a gifted and generous quilter herself.  Our family have been the beneficiaries of her love and skill.  We have a beautiful quilt of the Salt Lake Temple on a prominent wall as well as other smaller wall-hangings and beautiful quilts for my children's beds.  My favorite quilt to take a nap with was a gift from her.  I am sure she has lovingly pieced together hundreds of quilts, most of them gifts.  She also shares her talent by teaching quilting classes--and not just locally.  She has been featured in magazines.  I know this not because she has told me about it either.  She seeks no recognition. 

She takes care of elderly neighbors and motherless children.  She has made scarves and visits to an out of state friend suffering from cancer.  She feeds the homeless on Thanksgiving.  She helped her daughter as she adopted a baby girl and helps her as she is now a single parent. She has provided Easter outfits and school clothes for my children when my husband was out of work.  She is a good gift giver.  She seems to know just what each of us would like. 

I remember when I was engaged to Destry and my three mothers and I went shopping for flowers. It was quite easy choosing center-pieces and corsages and boutonnieres, but nothing I saw for my bouquet seemed quite right, even thought I didn't really know what I wanted.  I mean I only had 28 years to think about it!  After searching through two gigantic crafty silk flower stores for quite some time, Claudia grabbed a few long-stemmed white flowers.  They were perfect.  They were just what I didn't know I had been looking for.  How did she know?

Motherhood is often thought of as a sacrifice.  To me it is a beautiful choice with beautiful blessings.  It is a choice I am glad my mothers made and one I am grateful every day that I got to make.  I am one lucky girl to have three wonderful mothers in my life.  The world certainly is a better place because of mothers and I am certainly a better person because of my mothers!




Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing your memories and thoughts. My time staying at Shirley's was truly a spiritual experience and I felt the love of a mother I did not know I had. To many tears right now to write more, even though my heart is overflowing with words to say.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"

As a mother stills her child,      Thou canst hush the ocean wild; From August to November of last year, Taylor has had four witnessed and likely two other grand mal seizures; all of them in his sleep. By the time he'd had his sixth the Sunday before Thanksgiving, I had reached the end of my rope. It was terrifying to see him stiffen, shake, foam at the mouth and turn purple for many minutes. This particular seizure was the worst and the longest. We were struggling to get him seen by a neurologist and I had decided to call the paramedics for the fourth time and this time to have him transported to the hospital even if he regained consciousness. He needed to be fast tracked to testing and medication.  Little did I know that that call would take me down a path I never in a million years imagined I would be on.  To summarize what happened after the paramedics arrived, they pushed me out of Taylor's room and refused to give me the time of day. Never mind, he has a complex medical h