Skip to main content

Evolution

So we had our annual pumpkin carving extravaganza last night.  I remember when we would purchase one large pumpkin to carve and maybe a small one for each child to decorate the porch with.  Destry or yours truly, more often than not, because he wasn't available would cut scoop and carve the jack-o-lantern face into the thick orange flesh.  I have never been a fan of slimy, smelly things and pumpkin guts are both, but I "took one for the team" each year.  Now we are up to five large pumpkins carefully selected by each individual carver/painter.  Taylor was ill when the rest of us went to select the pumpkins, so we were instructed to text pictures of possible choices to him for review.  Luckily for us, he liked the first one we chose for him!  

After our traditional Monday night taco dinner was consumed and cleared from the kitchen we laid out old towels, carefully washed the pumpkins and located carving tools, seed and gut containers and paint supplies.  Both Estelle and Sarah opted to paint their pumpkins this year--hooray!  The other three were independent carvers.  In fact, while I tried to keep things as tidy as possible while preparing the seeds for roasting, Destry found fun Halloweenish music on YouTube for all to enjoy.  This was prompted by my saying that it felt like we needed to turn on some Christmas music or something.  He obviously felt like the "or something" was much more appropriate.  The kids agreed.  Bah humbug.  

Taylor was done in a jiffy.  I was afraid that he was planning on something so elaborate that wasn't going to turn out as he envisioned and he would crush his pumpkin in a fit of rage--just kidding he is not that kind of a kid.  But he has been known to throw in the proverbial towel before.  While he was explaining to me how he was going to make a pac man and not cut off the top, I thought he also said he was going to carve something on both sides and his description sounded much more involved design than it actually was.  Well, he made a giant pac man large enough to clean out the pumpkin innards and was finished with his simple design before Emma had finished designing hers.  She drew a cute, yet uncarvable minion on one side of her canvas in permanent marker.  When I suggested that she had included just a little too much detail, she turned it around and went for a one-eyed smiling face much like some of the minions in our beloved, "Despicable Me."  She took longer than anyone, which was fine, but I thought she was done and I instructed everyone to clean up.  She never complained, but I noticed that she had not yet carved the face in it yet, only cleaned it out and drawn the template.  Bless her heart, I told her to finish while the rest of us began cleaning and getting dressed.  Yes, dressed.  Taylor, Emma and Sarah have colds and have been home in their jammies all day.  

Spencer made a traditional jack-o-lantern face in his. Sarah started out colorfully, but as paint began to mix, she ended up with a lot of brown.  Estelle, on the other hand, painted colorful stripes around her pumpkin which strongly resembled a Jamaican rasta hat.  Everyone had fun and I think we were done in record time.  This activity has gone from one that was largely parent-driven to one that is almost entirely child-driven.  I love that.  The only thing that would have made it better is if the children would have driven the clean up as well.  Oh well, I guess that will be for another day, maybe.  Maybe not.  

Arctic Circle, the restaurant, not the latitude never disappoints in the Halloween decoration department.  We decided to go there for our FHE treats.  This year is Peter Pan themed.  The ceiling is covered in black.  All of the walls look like stone.  Peter Pan and Tinker Bell are flying overhead and we were greeted by a life-sized Captain Hook when we entered.  There is a mermaid cove complete with a real water fountain.  There are skulls and other details looming for those who take the time to look.   While we were there I pondered on yet another family evolution.  When the kids were young and we had fewer of them we would order a shake to share.  When there were a few more of us we would order two shakes to share.  Recently, we have been getting everyone their very own ice cream cone.  You see, ice cream cones are a drippy, sticky, gooey mess for toddlers and young children.  It is much cleaner to use a spoon and scoop the sweet, creamy goodness into small mouths. This made shakes the treat of choice for many years.   Since the older kids are not keen on sharing any more and Sarah can put away a cone by herself without much dripping we have graduated to ice cream cones--ta da!  Certainly, no one would complain about having their own shake, except for the budgeter who also happens to be the payer, so ice cream cones it is!

Happy Halloween! And happy ever evolving after.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"

As a mother stills her child,      Thou canst hush the ocean wild; From August to November of last year, Taylor has had four witnessed and likely two other grand mal seizures; all of them in his sleep. By the time he'd had his sixth the Sunday before Thanksgiving, I had reached the end of my rope. It was terrifying to see him stiffen, shake, foam at the mouth and turn purple for many minutes. This particular seizure was the worst and the longest. We were struggling to get him seen by a neurologist and I had decided to call the paramedics for the fourth time and this time to have him transported to the hospital even if he regained consciousness. He needed to be fast tracked to testing and medication.  Little did I know that that call would take me down a path I never in a million years imagined I would be on.  To summarize what happened after the paramedics arrived, they pushed me out of Taylor's room and refused to give me the time of day. Never mind, he has a complex medical h