Skip to main content

The Day of Emma's Birth

Tomorrow will be my oldest daughter's 11th birthday.  She is a middle child and oldest daughter.  I was so happy to meet her and to see that she really was a girl.  At the ultrasound her legs were crossed when the technician tried to show us so we couldn't see for ourselves, but she assured us that she really was a girl.  I didn't dare get my hopes up too high, knowing mistakes are made.  However, I bought plenty of pink outfits.  I am also pleased to report that she was by far my easiest delivery.  Taylor had come nearly three weeks early and I was hoping to get at least a week from her, but no such luck.  She came 2 1/2 hours before her due date. The waiting part wasn't easy.

My labor started in the afternoon and I realized that a trip to Walmart was necessary before she came.  I prepared dinner and my hospital bag.  We had a meeting scheduled for a financial planner  at seven that evening.  Destry didn't make it home, so I tried to discretely count/time contractions while listening to the man's presentation.  He and Destry met on the porch at eight  as Destry was coming and he was leaving.  

By 8:00 that evening I was more uncomfortable and Erika, who was living with us at the time, helped Destry get the boys to bed while I took a shower.  I was beginning to blow dry my hair when I vomited and didn't feel well at all.  Even though I had been in labor for a short time I felt like it was time to go the hospital.  I was right.  The nurse checked me after timing a long, hard contraction and said, "that is the way to do it; you are complete." She assured me that the doctor was in the hospital, that they would page him, that he would break my water and I would have a baby.  

Well, after several pages, my water breaking on its own and the nurses assuring me now that they had delivered babies before, Dr. Saunders walked in just in time to catch her. I only had about 20 minutes after my water broke that labor was really intense.  A few gentle pushes from me and she safely entered the world.  I felt perky and great.  It was wonderful holding my daughter.  She looked like Spencer.  I even got to go into the nursery to watch the nurses give her her first bath.  She was a welcome addition to our family.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

I Should Have Known, But I Didn't or It's Been a Year

I began this blog one year ago this month.  This is my 31st post.  That puts me at exactly 2.4 posts per month.  Not a world's record, but a personal best.  Up from the zippo I had before.  I started it so that my children would have some record of their family's life.  I haven't been very good at journal keeping in the past.  I have been hit or miss at best.  What I hadn't anticipated was how much I have enjoyed writing and reading this blog.  I have reread my posts, some of them several times.  They have made me laugh, cry and reminisce about my life.  I like to write, so it should not have been such a surprise.  But for some reason or other I didn't realize how much I would benefit from it.  Maybe next year I will average a 3 or even 4 posts each month.  I have ideas and notable life events that I could write about, but we shall see.