Skip to main content

Oh the Irony

So yesterday I ranted about the expectations for St. Patrick's Day being too high.  And After Estelle had spend hours preparing to catch a leprechaun and lying awake the night before with equal parts excitement and worry about the leprechaun coming she decided when I was putting her and Sarah to bed to announce to the world, ie Sarah, that there were no such things as leprechauns, the Easter Bunny, the tooth fairy...etc., etc., etc. I have actually been expecting to have a conversation about that with her for months, but she always seems to pull herself back into the believing crowd. I am fine with whatever she chooses, I just want to let Sarah discover for herself without the blatant telling from her sister. I quieted her as quickly as I could and told her that we would talk about it later, meaning when Sarah was asleep and we could slip out of the room unnoticed. She has been questioning since long before last Christmas, but she always tells me she believes even though some of her friends are nonbelievers. Until last night she always told me she had proof for both angles, but that she wants to believe. She is imaginative and fun so I thought she may hold onto the magic a little longer, or be disappointed when she figured it all out. But alas, her comment to me was, "Ah, now I have to be the one to buy all the Christmas gifts when I'm a mom." She is so funny and I didn't see that line coming! After that I threatened her to not spill the beans for her sister or for any other believing friend then she bounced back into bed. Well it appears we are heading into a new phase for our family because I don't expect Sarah will keep up the illusion for too much longer now. I'm not sad about it. I will get to hide things just by wrapping them  and mom and dad will get a little more well-deserved credit now.

Comments

  1. yep now you have to buy on the presents when your a mom Estelle! Love that Girl!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Sarah

My baby has the first birthday of the year. She turned the lucky number 7 on April 3. She could not have been more excited! We celebrated with a rainy BBQ and ice cream pie with family along with games with more ice cream pie with her friends. She recently learned how to ride a two wheeled bike without training wheels and her birthday wish was for a new helmet which Kevin and Christine delivered. She is still easy to please and we had fun parties with her. I am so grateful that she is a part of my life. She has taught me more about expressing love than anyone else. I am the Primary chorister and I have been observing the children lately, especially the younger ones. They are able to express their love freely; they give hugs and smiles to their teachers and anyone else who makes them happy. They sit on their laps and expect to be loved back. The older they get the less easy it is for them to express love. Sarah is not the youngest in Primary any more, but she is sti...

Yesterday we had a "Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad" morning that ended with a Christlike Kindness

Last Saturday morning SHOULD have been an ordinary Saturday morning.  The children have "Saturday chores" that they are required to do before they move on with their day.  There are a few exceptions.  This morning Spencer had an exception because his scout troop led by Destry went on a rock climbing expedition.  It was a gorgeous day!  They had a great time thanks to Destry's former missionary companion and friend, Dallin Ward, who shared his talents and expertise with the group.  Spencer was the star as I was told.   For those of us who stayed behind, it should have been chore time after they left.  They were all playing together nicely for a while and I just let them.  It is fun to see them getting along and playing well.  At around 10:00 I reminded them  to get get started because Emma had her first basketball game of the season and Estelle had a birthday party that both started at 1:00.  That should have been no problem. ...

The Costco to Trader Joe's Transition

The first time I went to Trader Joe's, I was both under- and overwhelmed. I had heard that it was a gluten free mecca, that they had so many great products that just couldn't be missed. Upon entry, I was greeted with beautiful, affordable cut flowers. The produce section, also reasonable priced, sold the basics of any grocery store. I then perused small packages of cheese. I continued walking up and down each aisle, stopping occasionally to read the labels of products that caught my eye, only to put every item back onto its designated spot on the shelf. The store itself was small and crowded, filled mostly with college students and an occasional older woman. There were few mothers with children in tow, or heaping carts. The checkout lines were long, but had an employee at every register. I cannot speak to how long it took to get through a line because I walked out empty- handed. I left unsure if I would ever go back.  I was underwhelmed because it was just a grocery store; I do...