Skip to main content

Sadie

We have a dog and today she gets her own post. Lucky dog! I would not consider myself an animal person.  Sure horses are majestic, dolphins are lovable, puppies are cute, tigers are mysterious and who wouldn't want to wrap their arms around a panda bear and get a bear hug (assuming of course that the panda wouldn't rather rip your head off).  I never thought I would own a pet. They require time and money. They get sick, need shots and grooming , they need exercise and to be fed and watered and they poo. That is the number one strike against any pet! If someone would invent a pet that didn't poo I'd have ten of them. Well maybe not because you often can't take them on vacation either and it is inconvenient asking someone to look after your pet while you are gone and paying for them to be boarded is out of the question.

Children, as any parent knows, change you.  I had five of them including a baby whose diapers I was still changing when some chemical imbalance effected my brain causing me to look at the KSL classifieds for a dog. Spencer was nine and had been asking for a dog for years. I held my ground. Emma had just turned five and would be starting kindergarten the next year.  She was the one that changed my heart as well as the timing of the dog.  I had thought to myself that maybe we would get a dog when I was done potty training my children so that, you know, there would be less poo for me to clean up. Well, that may have been true, but by then Emma would have been in school all day.  And I know that she would likely be happy to carry a dog around all day if she had the chance and if she were to be given the chance to do that we would be needing to get a dog before she started school.

Puppies, I knew, are adorable.  But--they chew on things, scratch things, they cry at night and require training of all sorts including being trained where to poo.  I do not like potty training my children, I did not relish the idea of training a dog.  I had never done it before and I wasn't really interested in learning how. So I was drawn to a small, cute, fluffy, house trained three year old shih tzu named, Sadie. I did some research and discovered they are friendly, sociable dogs who need regular grooming, but don't shed and are supposedly "hypo-allergenic." Taylor, I knew could have been my ticket out of any pet ever.  He is allergic to everything. We knew that he reacted to labs, but he seemed fine around other dogs. So, one brisk November afternoon I packed up the kids and told Destry that we were going to "look at" a dog.  We needed to see if Taylor was going to be allergic and see if we liked her. The dog we went to "look at" came home with us.

While there was an adjustment period for all of us, especially me;  there were even a few days that I wanted to take her back, I have no regrets. She has become part of our family. I worried that the kids would lose interest and she would become my responsibility, not that I didn't know that she would be my responsibility to begin with. My kids bathe her, feed and water her, clean up her poo and let her in and out of the house. Do they do it without being reminded, no, but they still do it.  At first I did the bathing, but as the kids got older, they took that over. We all love her.  The kids have had to learn how to treat animals; they are not toys. Sadie is quite patient with them, but she is not the type of dog who can be mauled and bugged relentlessly. She gives them a warning growl when she doesn't like what they are doing to her and has even nipped at them a few times.  She and the children got reprimanded when she nipped. She is playful and protective. She doesn't like rough play or fighting. When someone is sick she sits with them all day long.

She also has some sense of time. We don't usually take her with us when we go places, but we always take her to my mom's when we go for dinner on Sundays. Somehow she knows when it is time to go. It doesn't matter what block we have at the time or it is stake conference. She knows when it is time to go to grandmas. I think she looks forward to it as much as the rest of us do. She gets so excited to get in the car and when we are a couple blocks away from her house she goes nuts. Oddly, I think my mom enjoys having her. A few weeks ago I took her with me to pick the girls up from school and now she knows when it is time to do that and she has to come with me every day.  She also knows when it is time to get in her kennel because she is not coming with us--not that she gets in it willingly every time. She has become another loved member of our family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Should Have Known, But I Didn't or It's Been a Year

I began this blog one year ago this month.  This is my 31st post.  That puts me at exactly 2.4 posts per month.  Not a world's record, but a personal best.  Up from the zippo I had before.  I started it so that my children would have some record of their family's life.  I haven't been very good at journal keeping in the past.  I have been hit or miss at best.  What I hadn't anticipated was how much I have enjoyed writing and reading this blog.  I have reread my posts, some of them several times.  They have made me laugh, cry and reminisce about my life.  I like to write, so it should not have been such a surprise.  But for some reason or other I didn't realize how much I would benefit from it.  Maybe next year I will average a 3 or even 4 posts each month.  I have ideas and notable life events that I could write about, but we shall see.

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to