Skip to main content

Happy Birthday, Leon!

We received a note in the mail a few days ago from Claudia. In it she explained that what Leon would like for his birthday was for everyone to do five acts of kindness. We were to write them down on the card she provided along with a birthday wish for Grandpa/Dad. He will be turning 72 next month and if each family member does 5 acts of kindness that would add up to 72. We are going to meet for dinner at Golden Corral on August 2 to celebrate together.

Only Taylor, Estelle, Sarah and I were home when the invitation arrived, but we had a brainstorming session and watched a video on facebook about a group of college students that got together and did 21 kind acts. We got a few ideas from that as well. We discussed later with the other folks and we decided that we would do four things together as a family and that we would each do one thing on our own. We also did them a week earlier than suggested because Taylor will be at scout camp the week just prior to the birthday party.

Here's what we did:

1. Bake cookies for each member of the bishopric--this was fun and everybody helped with cookie baking and thank you note making.
2. Bake cookies for the mailman--we put three cookies and a note in a Ziploc bag and put it in the mail box for the letter carrier to find.
3. Send notes and a small treat to the 5 missionaries serving in the United States from our ward and send an email to Joey Wallace who is in Mexico and for whom we didn't have an address. (He, by the way, responded the day after we sent it; how sweet).
4. Take sandwiches and water bottles to homeless people in Salt Lake City. We filled up a cooler and distributed 18 sandwiches and 21 bottles of water. The kids were humbled and thankful for the lives they live. Estelle said that she was glad that we did not live in a city. None of them said that they would request doing this again, but that they would if we asked them to. Destry was the first one to hand out the food. I joined in and eventually the older kids did too. We just got off the train and didn't have to go far before we found our first benefactor. We had a couple of people follow after us and request a sandwich too. A couple of people requested another one for a loved one.  We continued walking and handing out the food until we had only one sandwich and two bottles of water left. Sadly, we came upon a man, a woman and a little girl. We decided that one sandwich and two bottles of water was better than nothing so we gave it to them. Destry and I decided that we should do this every time we were in the city, even if we just filled up a backpack rather than dragging around a cooler. Everyone was gracious and thankful. One man who had already told us thank you, came back again to tell us that we were doing a wonderful thing and again, "Thank you." Even though my children will not be asking to do this now, I hope that they will remember this small service that meant so much to a few people. The hardest part was not having more to give. In fact, we avoided one particular corner because there were more people gathered we had food. We turned down a nearby street instead and emptied our cooler.
5. For my fifth activity, which was not planned, I helped an elderly woman carry a package off of the train that we had both just disembarked. We rode FrontRunner to Salt Lake to do hand out the sandwiches. She was struggling to carry a box and a cane in one hand and a bag in her other. I took the box and she said she was fine with the bag. I could tell she didn't want to impose, she walked rather slowly. I assured her I was not in a hurry. Another elderly woman approached us who was not as slow and not carrying anything so she took the box from me. I asked her if the other woman and the man she was traveling with were here on vacation since I could see that he was carrying luggage. She informed me that they were here from Jacksonville, Florida to attend the funeral of her husband. In the box was a hat that had belonged to her husband, but fit her brother perfectly so she would be giving it to him. I offered my condolences, grateful I had stopped to help and that I had asked about their travels. Estelle wants to use her own money to tape $1.00 bills to treats in the dollar store for shoppers to find. Sarah is planning on using her own $6.00 to purchase a bunch of flowers to hand out at the entrance of Smith's grocery store. Taylor said he will do something at scout camp next week. Emma wants to serve her grandfather whom we will be visiting in Panguitch later this week and the others are still deciding on what to do.

I am thankful that Leon gave us the inspiration to serve a little more. It was fun and rewarding as well as humbling. I hope we will do this again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"

As a mother stills her child,      Thou canst hush the ocean wild; From August to November of last year, Taylor has had four witnessed and likely two other grand mal seizures; all of them in his sleep. By the time he'd had his sixth the Sunday before Thanksgiving, I had reached the end of my rope. It was terrifying to see him stiffen, shake, foam at the mouth and turn purple for many minutes. This particular seizure was the worst and the longest. We were struggling to get him seen by a neurologist and I had decided to call the paramedics for the fourth time and this time to have him transported to the hospital even if he regained consciousness. He needed to be fast tracked to testing and medication.  Little did I know that that call would take me down a path I never in a million years imagined I would be on.  To summarize what happened after the paramedics arrived, they pushed me out of Taylor's room and refused to give me the time of day. Never mind, he has a complex medical h