Skip to main content

I'm Thankful for Little Girls and the Memory of Little boys

I went to Emma's 9:00 a.m. basketball game this morning. She has a great team and coach this year. It was fun to watch them win. Her team this year is the reverse of last. They have not only won her first two games, but creamed them. Last year they got creamed.

When I got home I was greeted by the smiles and sounds of four little neighbor girls who where gathered in the kitchen along with my two little girls making hot chocolate and eating waffles. When everyone had eaten their fill the breakfast party quickly turned into a "Frozen" music freeze dancing party. (I think Destry was glad he had a place to go). I loved it. I took a picture of their smiling hot chocolate faces with my phone and another of their smiling, dancing bodies with my heart.

I love the pure joy of living in the moment that children are so good at demonstrating. They were free and connected to each other at the same time. I remembered the times when my boys were younger and their version of this kind of play was running through the yard shooting each other with Nerf guns.

My most favorite kind of play for both the boys and girls was when they would role play adult life. The kids would call it "The Real Game." The boys played it in our basement. They would set up different businesses and houses. They had a way to buy and sell goods and services. The game would go on for days. Sometimes they would play it with their friends, sometimes my  kids would play it together.

The girls set up their game in the Holdaway's basement. I loved hearing about who was the doctor, restaurant owner, banker, or store clerk. They would have weddings and then go to the hospital to have babies or get treatment for broken bones. This was a favorite summer activity for them.

Right now as I am writing this I am coaching my not so little girl, Emma, who is making cinnamon rolls for the first time. She called it a "mother, daughter activity" to hook me, smart girl. I love the memories of the past and the time I get to spend making new ones now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Sarah

My baby has the first birthday of the year. She turned the lucky number 7 on April 3. She could not have been more excited! We celebrated with a rainy BBQ and ice cream pie with family along with games with more ice cream pie with her friends. She recently learned how to ride a two wheeled bike without training wheels and her birthday wish was for a new helmet which Kevin and Christine delivered. She is still easy to please and we had fun parties with her. I am so grateful that she is a part of my life. She has taught me more about expressing love than anyone else. I am the Primary chorister and I have been observing the children lately, especially the younger ones. They are able to express their love freely; they give hugs and smiles to their teachers and anyone else who makes them happy. They sit on their laps and expect to be loved back. The older they get the less easy it is for them to express love. Sarah is not the youngest in Primary any more, but she is sti...

The Costco to Trader Joe's Transition

The first time I went to Trader Joe's, I was both under- and overwhelmed. I had heard that it was a gluten free mecca, that they had so many great products that just couldn't be missed. Upon entry, I was greeted with beautiful, affordable cut flowers. The produce section, also reasonable priced, sold the basics of any grocery store. I then perused small packages of cheese. I continued walking up and down each aisle, stopping occasionally to read the labels of products that caught my eye, only to put every item back onto its designated spot on the shelf. The store itself was small and crowded, filled mostly with college students and an occasional older woman. There were few mothers with children in tow, or heaping carts. The checkout lines were long, but had an employee at every register. I cannot speak to how long it took to get through a line because I walked out empty- handed. I left unsure if I would ever go back.  I was underwhelmed because it was just a grocery store; I do...

Yesterday we had a "Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad" morning that ended with a Christlike Kindness

Last Saturday morning SHOULD have been an ordinary Saturday morning.  The children have "Saturday chores" that they are required to do before they move on with their day.  There are a few exceptions.  This morning Spencer had an exception because his scout troop led by Destry went on a rock climbing expedition.  It was a gorgeous day!  They had a great time thanks to Destry's former missionary companion and friend, Dallin Ward, who shared his talents and expertise with the group.  Spencer was the star as I was told.   For those of us who stayed behind, it should have been chore time after they left.  They were all playing together nicely for a while and I just let them.  It is fun to see them getting along and playing well.  At around 10:00 I reminded them  to get get started because Emma had her first basketball game of the season and Estelle had a birthday party that both started at 1:00.  That should have been no problem. ...