Skip to main content

Happy Birthday, Kevin!

39 years ago today, my little brother Kevin was born. He was a chubby, round faced little cutie. I loved playing "baby games" with him like "peak-a-boo" and "so big." When he got a little older, like two, he began wandering around the neighborhood. He would pedal around on his big wheel with our dog and the neighbor's dog following behind him. When we went on the search for him, we usually spotted the dogs first and knew that Kevin was nearby. He did not usually go too far, but I remember searching for him day after day. Once he even went to the school and made it into Kent's first grade class. Kent called my mom and asked if she knew where Kevin was. She thought he had been right by her only moments ago, but he was fast. When she arrived to pick him up he was sitting happily coloring in his own chair just like the big kids. 

As he grew older, he and Renee did not get along very will. Even though they were old enough to look after themselves, my mom did not dare leave the house unless Kent was home to make sure they didn't kill each other. (A funny typo just happened, I typed "kiss" instead of "kill"). 

He was a handsome teenager and I don't think he missed a "girl's choice" dance. He was not particularly interested in girls and I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think he went on any high school dates where he did the asking. 

A fond memory I have of him is before his mission he took a missionary prep class at the Institute at UVU at the same time I took another class. It was held in the evenings and we would drive over together. He and I had not really gotten a lot of one on one time growing up, so this time together stands out. 

Another memorable experience we shared was when we were camping at our property in Salina, he and I went on a 4-wheeler ride. We each rode our on ATV on a trail that at one point had a steep incline with a huge bolder on it. Kevin rode both machines up it, but coming back down I decided to give it a try. He went first and I slowly followed. Too slowly. I hit the bolder and the 4-wheeler flipped forward sending me over the top and tumbling down the hillside. When I stopped the 4-wheeler rolled right over the top of me--miraculously not squishing me and rested on my arm. 

Kevin came down and pushed the ATV off my arm. I was shaken and a bit bruised, but was otherwise okay. (For a couple of weeks after we returned home I wore long-sleeved shirts in public even though it was a hot July. I looked like I had been beaten).It took some time and determination, but somehow we were able to push it back up the hill and onto the trail. Because of the tumble I had become more afraid of the trail and there were several places where the trail narrowed and Kevin drove both of them to a wider spot while I walked. I had never been so grateful to get to a dirt road before! 

I was especially grateful for Kevin's kind assistance. When we got back to camp Kevin was worried that Destry would be upset. He was and that was the end of that trip.

I cannot complete a post about Kevin without mentioning his sweet wife and kids. After they got married, they lived in the Neva's garage apartment in the back of her home in Provo. Neva had let our family live there while we were building our house in Saratoga Springs. Neva was staying with her aging and ailing mother. Kevin and Christine would help us with our small children from time to time, including the time two year old Taylor hid from me in the minivan. 

I had returned from a grocery shopping trip and had carried Emma in and made a couple of trips with the groceries. I had unbuckled Taylor expecting him to walk into the house on his own. I realized I didn't see him in the house and began looking for him. I even looked in the car, but didn't see him. I became increasingly worried because Neva's house is on Geneva Road, a very busy street. I called his name and looked all around the yard for him. I enlisted Kevin and Christine's help and asked Kevin to look in the street. I didn't want to find Taylor if he had been hit by a car. We looked and looked for him then after one of my many passes by the minivan in the driveway, a little head popped up with a knowing smirk on its face. I was relieved and mad at the same time.

I have loved watching Kevin and Christine together over the years. They are an example to me of a loving, devoted marriage. They always have been. They are very in tune to each others needs and are always kind and considerate of one another. They struggled with infertility for the first few years of their marriage and were so delighted when Zachary joined their family. He is a doll! He looks just like Kevin and has a sweet temperament, even thought he fights with his younger sister, Kylene pretty much constantly. 

Kylene joined their family sooner than expected, just 20 months after Zachary's. She has a spunky side and a sweet one. I love cuddling with her. Alec is currently 3 1/2 and is a one of a kind cutie. He loves ninjas and the color red. He makes me laugh every time I see him. Baby Brooklyn has been a sweet addition to the family. The older three of Kevin's kids were pretty much only want their parents to hold them until they were about two, but Brooklyn has let us interact with her and it has been fun. 

I feel blessed to have all of Kevin's clan be a part of my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

I Should Have Known, But I Didn't or It's Been a Year

I began this blog one year ago this month.  This is my 31st post.  That puts me at exactly 2.4 posts per month.  Not a world's record, but a personal best.  Up from the zippo I had before.  I started it so that my children would have some record of their family's life.  I haven't been very good at journal keeping in the past.  I have been hit or miss at best.  What I hadn't anticipated was how much I have enjoyed writing and reading this blog.  I have reread my posts, some of them several times.  They have made me laugh, cry and reminisce about my life.  I like to write, so it should not have been such a surprise.  But for some reason or other I didn't realize how much I would benefit from it.  Maybe next year I will average a 3 or even 4 posts each month.  I have ideas and notable life events that I could write about, but we shall see.