Skip to main content

I'm Thankful for Them All

Very early Thursday morning I received a text from my mom. And by early I mean 
12:30 a.m. I heard the text come through as I was drifting into slumber, but I ignored it. When I read it a littler later in the morning I was surprised by what it said, "Are you busy Thursday and Friday?" I knew something was up so I called my mom who tearfully explained that she was in a lot of pain and that she couldn't sleep and didn't know what to do. I got the kids off to school, readied myself, checked my schedule for the day, made a couple of arrangements so I could spend the rest of the day with my mom. 

I called her again and we determined that purchasing an electronic recliner and a pair of crocks (a brand of large, slip on clog type shoes) were in order. Her feet were too swollen to fit into any of her shoes and she was having difficulty getting into her bed and up off the couch. Getting the shoes was a fairly simple task, but the chair was a bit more challenging. I knew the chair was not for me and that what may be comfortable to me may not be to her. I tried out a half dozen or so chairs and inquired as to the fabric choices for each. I sent pictures to my mom and talked about my perceived pros and cons of each one after narrowing it down to two. We went with the more expensive, larger, softer, and more attractive chair. Comfort was first on my mind; aesthetics were second. It was a bonus that the most comfortable was the one I thought would match her current furniture the best. 

Initially, the RC Willey salesman said that the chair could not be delivered until the following Tuesday. That would not due. My mom asked me to cry to him and see if it could be delivered sooner. I did and it worked. He said that they have three "emergency deliveries" set aside for each day, but that the appliance guys usually got them. A refrigerator going out is an emergency, but so is an older woman who cannot get in and out of bed and who needs a place to sleep and sit comfortably. He said it could be delivered Friday. I know my mom was hoping for same day delivery, but I felt like the next day was a reasonable compromise. 

When I arrived at her house I had a better understanding of what she was going through. She really could not move without a tremendous amount of pain. She was swollen and tired. She, of course, had a list of chores for me to do. Ones she could not do herself. I got them done, made sure she could easily get food, made a bed for her on the couch with a lot of pillows piled up so she wouldn't be completely lying down. The crocks I had bought for her only fit one of her feet, so on my way home I exchanged them for a bigger size.

Had I not needed to make the stop at the shoe store, I would have cried all the way home. I couldn't cry after getting the shoes exchanged because I had to be mom when I got home. I planned on going to Estelle's talent show at Thunder Ridge Elementary on Friday morning the slipping out after she performed to go to my mom's. I was scheduled to go visiting teaching, but I called my partner and asked her to excuse me this time.

The plan sort of worked. I received another early morning call from my mom. We were all up and getting ready for the day. She told me that she was unable to get up off the couch and had slid herself onto the floor; she was still there. She said that she had called David first, but he was already at work and had appointments set up. He would need to make some calls before he could leave. I was getting dressed as we spoke, but I knew that I would be another 45 minutes before I could get there. Even if I hurried. I asked her if there was someone who lived closer that she could call to help her get off the floor sooner than I could. I was wishing I had gotten the phone number of a long time friend, Sharee Bird whom had checked in on her while I was there on Thursday. She said she would call Sharee to get some help. I dressed sans shower and get kids out the door. 

She called me a few minutes later to say the some neighbors and David had helped her up and that Sharee could stay with her until I arrived. Sharee said she could stay until I got there after the talent show. I was glad. Estelle and the other kids I saw did a marvelous job. She and her friend Emily Durrant did a tumbling/dance routine choreographed by themselves. 

After consulting with my siblings and a couple of people whom knew what was going on, we decided it would be a good idea to take Mom to the ER. We were hoping that by doing so an appointment with a rheumatologist could be expedited. A week ago, her primary care physician recommended she see one based upon blood test results. The soonest appointment is May 16. She cannot wait that long in the condition she's in. Our hopes were in vain. We spent eight hours in the ER and came home with prednisone. She had one dose while we were there along with a strong diuretic. She was still as swollen when we left, but her mobility and pain were somewhat better. She was very grateful. 

When we got home I was tired, but she was energized. She could push the button on her water bottle and walk a little better. We didn't go to bed until nearly 1:00 a.m. She slept in her new chair that arrived before I got there in the morning. Hooray! She slept well and I did too. My mom has an awesome, fancy bed that I got to use :) 

My family was scattered hither and yon for the weekend. Destry, Emma, Estelle and her friend Madison Holdaway went to Panguitch to hear Leon speak in church on Sunday and to celebrate Grandma Claud's birthday. Spencer and Taylor stayed at home to work and attend a friend's 18th birthday. Sarah stayed with the Prestwich family across the street so she could celebrate Lydia's 10th birthday. All of that worked out well and everyone made it home by Sunday night.

Each of my siblings and their spouses either called, texted, or both to get updates on Mom's condition and to offer support for us both. I felt of their love and was grateful for them. It helped to lift my burden. Even Kent in Idaho and Renee in Alaska offered to come down if necessary. I was set for the weekend and Kevin offered to stay with her from Sunday until Tuesday because he is out of school for spring break. We will see what she needs after that. She may be okay. David is only ten minutes away and offered to stay with her if necessary since they are currently living with his in-laws. I also told my my she may need to move in with me if she was unable to be alone. She lives far enough away that I could not split my time between there and my own home with my husband and children because of the distance. While she is on the steroid she may be okay.

I am grateful for each of my brothers and sisters and their spouses. I am blessed to have grown up in a close-knit, loving family. Everyone is there for each other and willing to make sacrifices for one another. My mom cared for us for many years, and continues to do so. We may be privileged to care for her now. 

It is hard to see her in pain and unable to do the things she loves. She is always contributing to her ward, neighbors, and community, as well as her family. I told her I felt like I was taking care of a toddler. She would tell me she could do things herself, even if it took her 100x longer to do them. She is a trooper and grateful for the help and any relief she experienced. She has a strong testimony of the Savior that is tender and inspiring. 

I was thankful for my brothers and sisters when my dad died and I am thankful for them now as we help my mom to live. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"

As a mother stills her child,      Thou canst hush the ocean wild; From August to November of last year, Taylor has had four witnessed and likely two other grand mal seizures; all of them in his sleep. By the time he'd had his sixth the Sunday before Thanksgiving, I had reached the end of my rope. It was terrifying to see him stiffen, shake, foam at the mouth and turn purple for many minutes. This particular seizure was the worst and the longest. We were struggling to get him seen by a neurologist and I had decided to call the paramedics for the fourth time and this time to have him transported to the hospital even if he regained consciousness. He needed to be fast tracked to testing and medication.  Little did I know that that call would take me down a path I never in a million years imagined I would be on.  To summarize what happened after the paramedics arrived, they pushed me out of Taylor's room and refused to give me the time of day. Never mind, he has a complex medical h