Skip to main content

Sometimes I Think I'm Funny

Last week when Sarah returned from school she handed me an envelope. I opened it up and read a few words, enough words to know that the school was not happy with the number of school days she has missed this year. I have received letters like this before, so I didn't feel it was necessary to read every word. I threw it away without a third thought. My second thought was, "Hmm, I didn't realized she had missed that many days this year." 

On Friday I received an email from the now assistant principal and next year's new principal I have had a few interactions with her, but not many. I am sure she is kind and capable. I acknowledge she was just doing her job and she was doing it well. I have never been followed up with regarding the letters. She responded to my snarky, funny email in a positive and nondefensive (made up word, I know) manner. I still think my response to her first email was funny and blog worthy, so here it is along with her emails. 

Hi Mrs. Crump,  
        
I wanted to follow through with you regarding an attendance letter I sent home with Sarah.  I am checking to see if her absences are due to extenuating circumstances, and if there might be something we can do from the school side that might be helpful.    
        
Feel free to respond to this email, or call me at the school.  Our number is 801-610-8727.      
        
Thank you,  


_____________________________________________________________


Please know that my children's education is of utmost importance to me.  I also understand that attendance is key; however, if  Sarah has a fever, or is vomiting, or has conjunctivitis, or excessive coughing I keep her home so she can recuperate and to avoid spreading infection to her peers.  I am not sure what exactly you mean by "extenuating circumstances," but the things listed above are the reasons for every absence she has had. If the school side has some sort of miracle health pill that you would like to give us then that would be helpful. Other than that, I cannot think of anything.

Thank you,

Janette Crump

____________________________________________________


Hi Mrs. Crump,

Thanks so much for your response.  I can only wish I had a miracle health pill; I'm sure I would be rich!  All the issues you mentioned are definitely out of your control.  I really appreciate you taking your time to respond to my email.  And we truly appreciate your diligence in both recognizing the importance of education, and for keeping your daughter healthy.

Thanks again!      

____________________________________________________


That concludes the email exchange. But I would like to add a P.S. here:

I would like you to know that I am the mom and I take full responsibility for all aspects of my children's upbringing. School is a resource I like to use for educating them and I jump through the many hoops the system loves to set up, but ultimately you are not the boss. I am.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Sarah

My baby has the first birthday of the year. She turned the lucky number 7 on April 3. She could not have been more excited! We celebrated with a rainy BBQ and ice cream pie with family along with games with more ice cream pie with her friends. She recently learned how to ride a two wheeled bike without training wheels and her birthday wish was for a new helmet which Kevin and Christine delivered. She is still easy to please and we had fun parties with her. I am so grateful that she is a part of my life. She has taught me more about expressing love than anyone else. I am the Primary chorister and I have been observing the children lately, especially the younger ones. They are able to express their love freely; they give hugs and smiles to their teachers and anyone else who makes them happy. They sit on their laps and expect to be loved back. The older they get the less easy it is for them to express love. Sarah is not the youngest in Primary any more, but she is sti...

Yesterday we had a "Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad" morning that ended with a Christlike Kindness

Last Saturday morning SHOULD have been an ordinary Saturday morning.  The children have "Saturday chores" that they are required to do before they move on with their day.  There are a few exceptions.  This morning Spencer had an exception because his scout troop led by Destry went on a rock climbing expedition.  It was a gorgeous day!  They had a great time thanks to Destry's former missionary companion and friend, Dallin Ward, who shared his talents and expertise with the group.  Spencer was the star as I was told.   For those of us who stayed behind, it should have been chore time after they left.  They were all playing together nicely for a while and I just let them.  It is fun to see them getting along and playing well.  At around 10:00 I reminded them  to get get started because Emma had her first basketball game of the season and Estelle had a birthday party that both started at 1:00.  That should have been no problem. ...

The Costco to Trader Joe's Transition

The first time I went to Trader Joe's, I was both under- and overwhelmed. I had heard that it was a gluten free mecca, that they had so many great products that just couldn't be missed. Upon entry, I was greeted with beautiful, affordable cut flowers. The produce section, also reasonable priced, sold the basics of any grocery store. I then perused small packages of cheese. I continued walking up and down each aisle, stopping occasionally to read the labels of products that caught my eye, only to put every item back onto its designated spot on the shelf. The store itself was small and crowded, filled mostly with college students and an occasional older woman. There were few mothers with children in tow, or heaping carts. The checkout lines were long, but had an employee at every register. I cannot speak to how long it took to get through a line because I walked out empty- handed. I left unsure if I would ever go back.  I was underwhelmed because it was just a grocery store; I do...