Skip to main content

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital. 

My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad never arrived at the hospital to pick up my mom at the appointed time and the phone at our house rang a busy signal. He had no cell phone. Since I was in Salt Lake at the time JuNette and I were going to the hospital with my mom.

With kids in tow, JuNette and I started walking quickly to the parking garage. On the way, Erika called me crying hysterically. I couldn't understand her and told her that we didn't know what was going on, but that people were on their way to check things out. I knew that she was in Oregon visiting a friend and doubted she had more information than I did. It turns out she did.  She finally blurted out that Dad had died. She said that she had just gotten off the phone at my parent's home and the police officer who answered told her the devastating news. 

If I could have melted into the asphalt in the parking garage at that very moment I would have. I remember vividly that that is exactly what I wanted to do. I remembered my children whose hands I was holding and dragging to the car. I somehow willed my body to remain upright and buckled them into our minivan. I handed the keys to JuNette and asked her to drive to St. Mark's Hospital where my mom was recovering. 

Aside from thinking of my mom, my first thoughts were of Kent and Renee who were in Cedar City and Logan respectively, as well as David who was on a mission. I called Kent and got an voicemail message. I called Renee who was at work at the Logan Deseret Industries and heard her answer. I asked her if she could go into her boss's office, or some other private place. She did. I could think of no gentle way to say it, so I simply stated, "Dad has died." As predicted, she immediately cried. I made her promise not to drive herself to Springville before I hung up the phone. Her friends from work not only drove her down, but also brought her car so she would have it when she was read to go back to Logan. Somehow Kent was notified, but not by me. He drove himself to Springville.

It had been arranged that Kevin was to meet me at the hospital and we would tell my mom the news and drive her home. I have not used this over used word for any other time, but when JuNette let me out in the hospital parking lot everything was surreal. My legs were moving against their will, yet I felt like I was floating. I had no idea how I would tell my mom that her eternal companion had left this earth. I was concerned for her health and her mental and spiritual state. 

I sat on a chair and waited for Kevin to arrive. I used a hospital phone to call a nurse in her department to see if she thought my mom could hear the news. It turns out she already knew. I would not be telling the truth if I didn't say that I was more than a little grateful that I didn't have to tell her. Michael and Kristy Tymon walked into the floor just after we did. They looked at me wondering what we should do. I just took a deep breath and went into her room. We were told that a social worker was with her. He was as was a nurse. They, along with my mom, had been trying to get in touch with David, who was serving a mission in Arizona. 

My mom seemed fine. Better than any of the rest of us. I learned that the way my mom heard the news was from Erika's friend, Vixie, telling her nurse on the phone. It was not supposed to happen that way, but it did. The social worker continued helping to get in touch with the mission president so we could call David.  After the usual discharge papers were signed, Kevin, Mom and I drove to Springville. 

Meanwhile, Destry and Christine were the first family members to get to Springville. Destry was rushing in, but was met by Susan Shockley, a dear friend who had been called upon to check on my Dad when he the the phone line had been busy for hours. She hugged him and told him that the police were able to get in through a window and that Dad had passed. The police would not allow Destry to see my dad even though he wanted to. Because my dad had died alone he would need to have an autopsy. The Utah County coroner was out of town so he had to be taken to Salt Lake. 

My dad's body was gone by the time Kevin, my mom and I got to the house. There were Destry, Christine and some neighbors there to provide comfort and support.  I am sure there was even food. I don't really remember about the rest of the day. I am sure there was a lot of crying and reminiscing. I do know that I will forever be grateful for JuNette for caring for my children and for the support of friends that day. I feel bad that Destry and Christine had to be the first family members there to talk to police and be there when Dad's body was taken away. 

My children ask me to tell this story occasionally. Now it is here for them and their posterity. I am missing my dad right now. I wish my children could have known him. I get to tell them this story, but also fond ones. I am sure he is smiling on us and cheering us on.I can't wait to hug him and hear him tell me he loves me again.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"

As a mother stills her child,      Thou canst hush the ocean wild; From August to November of last year, Taylor has had four witnessed and likely two other grand mal seizures; all of them in his sleep. By the time he'd had his sixth the Sunday before Thanksgiving, I had reached the end of my rope. It was terrifying to see him stiffen, shake, foam at the mouth and turn purple for many minutes. This particular seizure was the worst and the longest. We were struggling to get him seen by a neurologist and I had decided to call the paramedics for the fourth time and this time to have him transported to the hospital even if he regained consciousness. He needed to be fast tracked to testing and medication.  Little did I know that that call would take me down a path I never in a million years imagined I would be on.  To summarize what happened after the paramedics arrived, they pushed me out of Taylor's room and refused to give me the time of day. Never mind, he has a complex medical h