Skip to main content

Untitled

This is the third time I've begun this post and the fourth title I've given it since yesterday. Life. Is. Hard. I certainly do not think I have the corner on life's challenges; however, I do think that if I were to hear about my life from someone else I would be amazed and impressed. I, right now, am neither. The two times I started it yesterday I felt a bit in despair. I didn't really want that to shine through because I do have hope and faith that things will, indeed and in time, work out. I'm better now.

I have wonderful sons, but they are challenging and they face many challenges. Today is Taylor's "diaversary," or in other words the anniversary of his diabetes diagnosis. Seven years. That day is ingrained in my mind. I actually have quite a few days that relate to his life (and near death) experiences that are there forever. My mother-in-law, Claudia, said it best when she heard the news, "Not Taylor." She knew that he already dealt with food allergies, asthma, and eczema. 

He usually handles all his challenges with grace and positivity. He is dealing with teenage angst along with the rest. Sadly, he doesn't feel as if he is enough. His usual sparkle has dimmed as he struggles making his way through his sophomore year of high school. I long to help him see his wonderful worth. 

Tonight I took a cue from members of a diabetes Facebook group I belong to and decided to celebrate him. I see posts of happy kids eating a doughnut as they commemorate the anniversary of their diagnosis. It is not something really to celebrate and Taylor really isn't a partier, but I felt like he needed a lift so we loaded up the family and went to dinner at a restaurant of his choosing. Celebrating that we have all made it seven years is worth recognition. I had everyone share something they either have learned from or admire about Taylor. Everyone had a quick answer. Emma volunteered to go first and said that she learned about 4-wheeler engines because of Taylor. Estelle said she learned about diabetes, and Sarah said that she likes the way he looks at the positive side of things. Destry said that he admires him for not complaining and just accepting things. I added that he doesn't get offended or hurt when people say ignorant things. He lets them roll of his back. Spencer didn't come with us, but I know he would have had something positive to add. We had a lovely evening before everyone scattered to their Friday night friend activities. 

Keeping his sweet soul alive has been an extra challenge as a parent. I am grateful for the medical knowledge that helps us. I have a constant worry that at any time he could have an accidental exposure to peanuts, or he'll that one "high" or "low" blood sugar that could be his last. If he sleeps late, or doesn't answer a text, or the school calls, my heart skips a beat or two. As I open his bedroom door to check on him I hold my breath until I know he is still breathing. When he gets a cold, or hay fever I am on edge hoping and praying that we don't need to give him prednisone. A miracle drug for asthma, but a literal killer for a diabetic person. 

In addition to his life-threatening conditions, he has several annoying ones. Like, five missing permanent teeth, a misaligned jaw and the potential of being his orthodontist's longest patient in braces. He has had three impacted teeth requiring surgery along with five baby teeth extractions. He can't eat eggs because they mess with his digestive system and aggravate his eczema. He is a very picky eater. It's a sensory/texture thing. I worry that he is getting proper nutrition. 

Yesterday, Spencer had another rough day. He has more rough ones than good ones it seems. I can't keep up. We had an appointment with a guy at the Conference Center in Salt Lake to see about doing a service mission since a full time mission doesn't seem likely given his mental state. He had been excited about it up until it was time to go. He said he didn't want to go. I told him to get in the car; we have an appointment and we are going. 

I got a few blocks from home and he started banging his head on the window and threatening to jump out of the car. I pulled into a parking lot and stopped. He got out and said he was going to walk into traffic to kill himself. I watched him safely cross Redwood Road, kneel down on the grass on the other side and cry. I got in the car, drove to him and opened the door. He got in. We didn't go to the Conference Center, obviously. I asked him to text the guy who was expecting us so he would be waiting. He told him he had a family emergency and wouldn't be able to make it. That works. 

I dropped him off at home and went for a drive. I needed a moment to pray, gather my own thoughts and emotions before I spoke to him. The other kids were about an hour and a half from returning home. Spencer called me about 20 minutes later wondering where I was and asking for a hug. I went home. I held him, but did not know what to say. I don't know what to do. I have said all the words and done all I can think of to help this child of mine. I am at a complete loss. We are in no better a place now than we were when he first went to therapy at age seven, or when we began trying medications at age nine. He's 18; a legal adult. I have never really known how to parent him and now that he's an adult I especially don't. 

We saw his psychiatrist today, Matthew Swenson. Love him. I asked to speak to him privately at first. I shared my concerns. He then spoke with Spencer privately. Then together he suggested a new/additional/instead of diagnosis. We already have a long list: OCD, generalized anxiety disorder, sensory processing disorder, ADHD, depression, and now bipolar disorder. Since the drugs for all the other things don't seem to do anything for him we are going to try drugs to stabilize his moods. Bipolar is not usually diagnosed until age 19-25. I think, not because it doesn't exist in children, it just looks different. Dr. Swenson said that even top pediatric psychiatrists can't agree on what it would look like in children.  Spencer is complicated and doesn't fit into any one hole. No one really knows, I don't think. God does, but He doesn't feel the need to let me in on it. 

For whatever reason the Heavens have not seen fit to give me specific, direct help with this matter. I just do the best I can with no certainty whatsoever. I'm sure there is a reason for this, maybe I'm not listening. I don't know. 

All of these things are a financial worry. We spend thousands of dollars every year on medical treatments, therapy, and drugs. My marriage is sometimes messy. I try to fulfill my church callings and volunteer at school and in the community and attend the temple. I'd like to do more; I can't. Some days I can just breathe and hope that everyone around me does the same.

I have much to be grateful for. 

I trust that God knows what He is doing. 

I know my Savior knows my heart.

I have hope

and I have love. 

So I hold on...


I wrote this on April 22, but fro some reason I didn't publish it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"

As a mother stills her child,      Thou canst hush the ocean wild; From August to November of last year, Taylor has had four witnessed and likely two other grand mal seizures; all of them in his sleep. By the time he'd had his sixth the Sunday before Thanksgiving, I had reached the end of my rope. It was terrifying to see him stiffen, shake, foam at the mouth and turn purple for many minutes. This particular seizure was the worst and the longest. We were struggling to get him seen by a neurologist and I had decided to call the paramedics for the fourth time and this time to have him transported to the hospital even if he regained consciousness. He needed to be fast tracked to testing and medication.  Little did I know that that call would take me down a path I never in a million years imagined I would be on.  To summarize what happened after the paramedics arrived, they pushed me out of Taylor's room and refused to give me the time of day. Never mind, he has a complex medical h