Skip to main content

He (Unintentionally) Breakes My Heart, yet Fills it with Unspeakable Joy

Today I received some much needed training at the PTA convention. I got to spend  time with several of next year's board members and learn a little bit about what I didn't know I didn't know. I do know that I have a lot to learn the next year as PTA president-elect so that I don't completely flounder as the president the following year. I have some big shoes to fill so to speak, or another way of looking at it is I get to continue a legacy started three years ago by capable women. I look forward to the opportunity to learn and to serve and to make new friends while attempting to make a difference.

My kids are all getting older now and can be relatively self-sufficient for short periods of time. I left before they went to school, but they were close to being ready. Destry was prepared to do carpool. Each child had a responsibility to fulfill in addition to the usual homework and walking home from school today. Taylor was to clean up the kitchen and keep the laundry moving from the washer to the dryer to my bed. The girls were to fold the laundry and put it away when they got home from school and Spencer was to finish the dinner that I started in the Crockpot before I left.

Well, I walked in the door and was greeted with a welcoming hug from Sarah as well as a messy kitchen and Estelle attempting to put three loads of wet laundry into the dryer all at once. Spencer was at the computer; I can only assume he was doing homework. Taylor was nowhere to be found and Emma, I was told, was at her friend's house. It was 5:30ish. The usual time for everyone to convene for our "tidy-up time." A time when everyone takes a few minutes to clean up toys, shoes, backpacks, papers, etc. that accumulates in the short time everyone returns from school. Then we set the table and have dinner.

I took a deep breath and first attended to Estelle's dryer stuffing. She informed me that all of the laundry had been on my bed and that it was wet. (At least she knew not to fold wet laundry). "Are you kidding me, Taylor!!!" What on earth was he thinking??!! I unloaded the dryer until it appeared to contain approximately one load then I got the rest of the wet clothing off of my bed.

"Mom, can we go to Chick-fil-a? Our school gets money if we do?

"Mom, did I tell you that I'm actually failing my history class too. Apparently when I missed a week of school I missed two tests and a packet."

"Mom, I ate dinner at Taylor's house. Can I go back outside and play for a while?"

"Mom, can we go to Chic-fil-a, pleeeease?"

"Mom, only one friend noticed I got my hair cut."

"Mom, you just missed a call from grandma."

"Mom, the Prestwich's are going to Chick-fil-a."

Inhale. Again. "Estelle, please clean up the family room. Sarah, clean off the kitchen table and put the shoes in the mudroom away. Emma, please clean up the kitchen. It is time for friends to go home. I will let you know later if we are going to Chick-fil-a or not. Spencer, don't fail any of your classes! Oh, Taylor. Where is Taylor?"

Where is Taylor? I wanted to figure out what exactly was going on in his brain when he decided to put three loads of wet laundry on my bed. And when I say wet, I mean wet, not damp, not a wet item or two that got tangled up or buried in the dryer somehow, not dripping wet either, but completely wet. Also, I need to make sure he is alive and exactly how well he is. I received only one text from him when I had texted him first and that had been about five hours earlier.

I discovered that his blood glucose had been dangerously high all day, like so high his meter only registered the word "high," which means it was over 500. I wanted to say all kinds of things like, "Why didn't you call me? Did you change your pod? Did you correct then check your blood in an hour? Did you use a syringe to dose your insulin rather than relying on your pump?..." But I didn't; I could see the suffering in his eyes and I pulled him close to me and wept in my heart. I stroked his head and told him I loved him and that I was sorry he had felt so miserable all day. He was tired even though I have a hunch he had slept for much of the day, so we laid on his bed together and I held him and felt so much pain for the pain he has to endure nearly every day of his life.

I never knew that my heart could ache so much and yet be filled with love at the same time. His life is a gift. Every life is a gift, we say it and hear it so often, but it is true. I wouldn't trade him for anything. His fragile life makes me more grateful for all of life. I am grateful for the chaos I came home to today. I am grateful for the training and the bonding I received with my PTA mates today, but I'm grateful too for the reminder of why I want to do it and why I really don't do very much away from my family. I have other ambitions (not necessarily PTA related), but the circumstances in my home and the needs of my children keep me there. I know that is where I am needed most and I know that is where I truly want to be. It is where my joy is. It is where I have been loved and where I have learned to love. The sting of my children's pain is much sharper than any of my own and the joy of their success surpasses anything I have done or could ever do. I am grateful for the lessons of motherhood.

Taylor's blood sugar came down, too much in fact; but occasionally I'm even grateful for hypoglycemia. Spencer did more homework, including a test he was able to take online. Emma got to go back outside and play; Estelle, Sarah and I went to Chick-fil-a. We did, after all, need to do our part to support the PTA I am about to become entrenched in. The last of the wet clothes is in the dryer and with the exception of Spencer, who just came upstairs for a Benadryl, everyone is sleeping soundly. As for the question of why there were wet clothes on my bed in the first place, we can either blame it on too much sugar in Taylor's, brain or on my taking the dryer setting off of "sensor dry" to a 20 minute "time dry" yesterday when the sheets needed a few more minutes, you choose.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"

As a mother stills her child,      Thou canst hush the ocean wild; From August to November of last year, Taylor has had four witnessed and likely two other grand mal seizures; all of them in his sleep. By the time he'd had his sixth the Sunday before Thanksgiving, I had reached the end of my rope. It was terrifying to see him stiffen, shake, foam at the mouth and turn purple for many minutes. This particular seizure was the worst and the longest. We were struggling to get him seen by a neurologist and I had decided to call the paramedics for the fourth time and this time to have him transported to the hospital even if he regained consciousness. He needed to be fast tracked to testing and medication.  Little did I know that that call would take me down a path I never in a million years imagined I would be on.  To summarize what happened after the paramedics arrived, they pushed me out of Taylor's room and refused to give me the time of day. Never mind, he has a complex medical h