Skip to main content

Why do They Have to Grow Up?

Today was the last day of school; it lasted a total of 90 minutes. The jr.high kids didn't even bother going and I didn't even bother going home after dropping off the girls until school was over. Emma asked if I would come to her class; they were having a breakfast party. I did and I am glad that she wanted me there.

Emma actually told me she was bored 30 minutes after we got home from school. I, of course, told her I had plenty of things I could suggest she do. She went to the neighbor's house instead. Estelle went with her. Sarah is at another neighbor's house playing in the water, a must-do for the first day of summer vacation. Taylor is slogging through his assigned school work for the day and I just dropped Spencer off at boy/girl end of school party.

That was a big step for both of us, for me mostly. Yes, I know he could be dating in less than three months; yes; he has been going to stake dances; and yes, he has had a couple of crushes this year. Still, it is a big step for me to drop my baby off at a stranger's house; I even resisted the urge to introduce myself to the parent of the house. He is 15; he thinks he is grown up. I think he is my baby. I was comforted in knowing that I was also dropping off two of his friends whom I do know, one of them is our bishop's son. He is a good kid. He has a cell phone. He will be fine. So will I.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Sarah

My baby has the first birthday of the year. She turned the lucky number 7 on April 3. She could not have been more excited! We celebrated with a rainy BBQ and ice cream pie with family along with games with more ice cream pie with her friends. She recently learned how to ride a two wheeled bike without training wheels and her birthday wish was for a new helmet which Kevin and Christine delivered. She is still easy to please and we had fun parties with her. I am so grateful that she is a part of my life. She has taught me more about expressing love than anyone else. I am the Primary chorister and I have been observing the children lately, especially the younger ones. They are able to express their love freely; they give hugs and smiles to their teachers and anyone else who makes them happy. They sit on their laps and expect to be loved back. The older they get the less easy it is for them to express love. Sarah is not the youngest in Primary any more, but she is sti...

The Costco to Trader Joe's Transition

The first time I went to Trader Joe's, I was both under- and overwhelmed. I had heard that it was a gluten free mecca, that they had so many great products that just couldn't be missed. Upon entry, I was greeted with beautiful, affordable cut flowers. The produce section, also reasonable priced, sold the basics of any grocery store. I then perused small packages of cheese. I continued walking up and down each aisle, stopping occasionally to read the labels of products that caught my eye, only to put every item back onto its designated spot on the shelf. The store itself was small and crowded, filled mostly with college students and an occasional older woman. There were few mothers with children in tow, or heaping carts. The checkout lines were long, but had an employee at every register. I cannot speak to how long it took to get through a line because I walked out empty- handed. I left unsure if I would ever go back.  I was underwhelmed because it was just a grocery store; I do...

Yesterday we had a "Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad" morning that ended with a Christlike Kindness

Last Saturday morning SHOULD have been an ordinary Saturday morning.  The children have "Saturday chores" that they are required to do before they move on with their day.  There are a few exceptions.  This morning Spencer had an exception because his scout troop led by Destry went on a rock climbing expedition.  It was a gorgeous day!  They had a great time thanks to Destry's former missionary companion and friend, Dallin Ward, who shared his talents and expertise with the group.  Spencer was the star as I was told.   For those of us who stayed behind, it should have been chore time after they left.  They were all playing together nicely for a while and I just let them.  It is fun to see them getting along and playing well.  At around 10:00 I reminded them  to get get started because Emma had her first basketball game of the season and Estelle had a birthday party that both started at 1:00.  That should have been no problem. ...