Skip to main content

A Couple of Things About Today and last Friday That are not Really Related, but I wanted to Write about Them at the Same Time

Tonight after our nightly exercise regimen, Sarah told me that I look like I am pregnant. She has been mentioning this quite often lately. She is not being rude, just making an observation, maybe even hoping. I usually just tell her that I'm not and we move on. I have been a little touchy today, not necessarily about looking like I'm pregnant when I'm not,  and was a little bothered by her comment this time. So tonight when I reminded her that I am not, I also added that I was sorry. She looked at me and sincerely said, "why are you sorry?" I honestly didn't know what to say. I just looked at her. I was thinking that I was sorry that I have been exercising regularly, honestly trying to watch what I eat and hoping to lose a few pounds, but my body wants to hold onto all of them for some reason. She does not need to know that.  Mostly I don't care. I spent a lot of years being skinny and now I'm not, but my body works.

It has grown five babies, it can exercise, walk, work, play and do almost everything I would like it too. It is healthy and in spite of my girls, mostly Emma and Estelle, thinking they have an old mom ( I suppose they kind of do) I am not at all worried about my age and even less worried about my appearance now than I was when I was younger and skinny.

And I'm going to take to heart the words, "You look amazing!" that were spoken by one of Emma's classmates when I dropped off Estelle's homework at the school just last Friday. I assume that Emma and her friends had been talking about the ages of her parents at some point in the not so distant past because when I ran into Emma who was selling goodies and junk at their "school store" she mentioned that her friends can't believe I'm that old. And sweet Daphne, who is my current favorite person, quickly blurted out the "Ya, you look amazing" words.

That trip to the school was not a waste, in more ways than one. Not only did I get my ego stroked by a sixth grader, but Estelle, who was talking to Emma in the hall by the store when I went inside ran to me and gave me a big hug as soon as she saw me. She thanked me for taking her homework to her. Emma also gave me a hug. In front of her friends. I know that some people would criticize my decision to take completed homework to her so she wouldn't miss "Fun Friday," 30 minutes of fun activities that the kids who are caught up for the week get to participate in. I should have let her live with the consequences of her forgetfulness. No way! And miss out on the midday hugs from two of my favorite girls and as a bonus to hear the shout out from one of their friends.

Estelle is very responsible about getting her homework done. I don't have to remind her and I rarely even help her. She has been a little lax about putting it back into her backpack each day, but no one is perfect. I would rather have completed homework on the kitchen table than undone homework in the backpack. I have forgotten things plenty of times and I would hope that people would be compassionate and helpful during my many moments of imperfection.

Back to my beginning story. Sarah truly does not care one way or the other if my tummy looks like it has a baby in it. She was  just making an observation. It was not judgmental as I was beginning to wonder. Her puzzled look and her asking me why I was sorry are evidence of that.  I appreciate her innocence, and hope I can hold onto it for a little bit longer. A more experienced Emma let Sarah know that it was rude to tell people who don't have a baby in their tummy that it looks like they do. That was the end of that conversation.

Part Two. Rewind to This Morning. (Remember this will not relate at all to what I already wrote).

Taylor has a field trip tomorrow that I volunteered to go on. I received an email from his teacher on Monday saying that I needed to have some sort of training and a background check to be able to participate. Oh brother. I didn't make it into the school yesterday, not that it would have changed the outcome, but I showered before taking the kids to school. When I dropped off Taylor I went inside to talk to them at the office.

The training includes reading through a binder about safety and confidentiality then taking a test. I also needed to be fingerprinted and have a background check done even if I have had one done elsewhere and of course, pay another $20. There is no bending the rules, I was told. Well I took their stupid test after browsing through the binder filled with mostly common sense items and passed. I missed the question about how the school will be alerted if they are to go on lockdown. A detail I am sure I will never need, but I know now. It will be with some sort of alarm. Good job. Unfortunately, the person who does the background check was not in today and even if she had been it may not have been done soon enough to be able to go.

I was really annoyed. Annoyed that I didn't know about this sooner and annoyed that I had to back out of my commitment to help with the field trip. In the email it said that I would be assigned a group of ten kids. That is quite a few kids to have to reassign to other already large groups. The nice office lady did tell me that they couldn't stop me from showing up at the field trip and spending time with my son. I already had that thought in my head. I had told Taylor that I was going and thought he was expecting me to go. That was important to me too.

I slugged out of the school feeling like I was considered guilty before being proven innocent. They are not the only school to require background checks, I've done it before, but it is the first one that was so stubborn about it. I began thinking about how the schools claim to want parental involvement. This school actually requires it. In addition, I tried to remember if I had ever heard of a time when a parent child had harmed a child. I'm not saying that it never has or couldn't ever happen, but I could not think of one time where I had heard on the news or from the word on the street that a mom volunteering on a field trip hurt a student. I hear of a handful of teachers every year as well as an occasional crazy person who shouldn't have been in the school in the first place.

If the schools want to foster a spirit of volunteerism it would be well to make volunteers feel more welcome. It is said to be done in the name of protecting the kids, but truly, how many P.T.A. moms have been in the news for hurting the kids, I ask? I would think that more damage could be done by not having enough chaperones.

After I picked up Taylor from school and told him about the situation and that I would just meet him there he said that I didn't really need to go. He told me that it would take the whole school day and that I would be able to get a lot of my own school work done during that time (I'm taking real estate classes online). I told him that the reason I wanted to work in real estate was so that I would have the flexibility to attend field trips and other events with my kids, that that was what was most important to me. I thanked him for his consideration.

We talked again a little later and he told me that he really didn't care if I went or not. I asked him to tell me honestly, not thinking about my needing to take my classes, if he wanted me to come or not. He said that he did not want me to come. I tried not to be sad. He, like Sarah, was not being rude or trying to push me away. He truly did not care if I went or not. He is not really looking forward to it himself and, to him, having me there would not change that.

Even though I would have loved spending the time with him and even though I was really annoyed that the school would not let me help, I have a feeling that this is playing out the way it is supposed to. I watch my cute little kindergarten friend, Regan, on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. I already told her mom I wouldn't be able to watch her on Thursday because I'm going with Sarah on her field trip. For some reason I hadn't told her I couldn't on Wednesday. I don't really know why, I just kept thinking through in my head how I could make it work. I know that Tina wouldn't care. She checks with me often to make sure it is ok that I still watch her and assures me that she has plenty of backups and that she really could stay home if necessary. Regan is a little sweetheart and I have enjoyed watching her since she was three, but I will admit that the kindergarten schedule is a bit tricky. I just took her along with me whenever I needed to go somewhere before, but I have to plan my time around when she is leaving and returning. Usually it is fine, but once in a while I have to do a little juggling.

Estelle came home from school feeling a little under the weather. Her nose is runny and her throat hurts. She and I are not sure if she will be going to school tomorrow. I would not know what to do about her being home if I had to go with Taylor. I'm not really comfortable asking a neighbor to watch a sick child and Destry has been home recovering from a surgical root canal the last two days and will likely not be available to stay at home tomorrow. Maybe she needs some mommy time. Maybe Taylor needs some independence. Maybe something else that I'm not even aware of needs to take place.

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I do know that God is in the details of our lives. Events happen for a purpose, even annoying or disappointing ones. Often God's purposes are unknown to us. Even though tomorrow is not going to play out the way I had planned, I know that what He needs to get done will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"

As a mother stills her child,      Thou canst hush the ocean wild; From August to November of last year, Taylor has had four witnessed and likely two other grand mal seizures; all of them in his sleep. By the time he'd had his sixth the Sunday before Thanksgiving, I had reached the end of my rope. It was terrifying to see him stiffen, shake, foam at the mouth and turn purple for many minutes. This particular seizure was the worst and the longest. We were struggling to get him seen by a neurologist and I had decided to call the paramedics for the fourth time and this time to have him transported to the hospital even if he regained consciousness. He needed to be fast tracked to testing and medication.  Little did I know that that call would take me down a path I never in a million years imagined I would be on.  To summarize what happened after the paramedics arrived, they pushed me out of Taylor's room and refused to give me the time of day. Never mind, he has a complex medical h