Skip to main content

It's About Time! or Please Don't Hate Me

I will start off with a disclaimer lest I come across as a hypocrite. If you look through the cabinets of my home you will find Tupperware, Pampered Chef items, Mary Kay, doTerra and at one time I had a Sentsy candle warmer, but my children are too enthralled with melted wax that I got rid of it. I am even slightly embarrassed to admit that I am probably on a dusty list of dormant Tupperware and doTerra distributors. All of these companies have great products at way too expensive prices.

In my opinion, the reason for the expense is due to the MLM type of marketing that each of these companies use. Let me just get this out there, I am not a fan of this distributing style. As I said before, I have owned and still use products that were marketed this way and I am sure that I will purchase some of them again. If they have something I can't live without and/or can't get any other way, or if I am supporting a friend or family member, I will buy. I was recently invited to check out a new MLM product which was slightly intriguing to me. It was basically a wallet with Ziploc bags in it. They looked cute on the outside, but to me they were too big to be a wallet and too small to be a purse and at $30 a pop they were also a big investment. I did seriously consider getting a boyish style if Taylor had wanted one for his diabetes supplies. He didn't. I don't think it was a good option either, but I asked him any way. I will very likely purchase from said companies again. However, I will be selective; and quite honestly, I may never buy from doTerra ever again. (This is the part where I ask you to not hate me).

I have grown increasingly disturbed by the claims made by doTerra's distributors over the past several months. I have friends who, as far as I know, are housewives, bankers, a lawyer, an English professor and a movie set builder who have become chemists, physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists, massage therapists and educators all rolled up into one after having purchased a starter kit and attended a marketing convention. Yes, I said a marketing convention. doTerra's genius comes not with its product, but with its marketing and it has sucked masses of intelligent, educated, rational thinking people, many of whom I love and admire.

Probably one of the most frightening invitations I received was from a woman who, in all honesty, is one of my very favorite people in the whole wide world, claimed to be teaching a class about treatments for ADHD, anxiety, depression and autism.  This was the last straw for me, I had heard all about treating viral and bacterial infections, cleaning products, etc., etc., etc. I think this touched a nerve because I live with people who struggle with some of these on a daily basis. I have tried using essential oils to see if it would help, but they did not. Would I say that they couldn't or wouldn't help someone, NO!

My concern is that distributors are suddenly becoming experts in medicine and mental health. I love it when people share their own successes, but when they make claims of cures and treatments that have not been proven, by people who are saying things that they are being taught to say, I find it unethical at the very least and potentially dangerous. I wonder how many people have stopped taking medications because they believed that the more natural way would be better. I know that there have been scientific studies done and that information is being fed to the distributors who then claim to know. I have done a small amount of research myself as well as some trials of different essential oils for my family.

I have been very pleased with the results for some things, yet I will still get an antibiotic when I have strep throat, or have surgery. I love the smell of many oils. They lift my spirits. I feel like I have averted many a cold because I began using oils at the onset. I like to add them to vinegar for cleaning. I like to massage them into my children's backs when they are sick or stressed. I put them on their feet when they are sick. I have put a drop on their pj's or on their chests to help with stuffy noses. Would I share what has worked for me when asked, absolutely. I in no way would consider myself all knowing nor would I give medical advice. I simply do not know enough and, quite frankly, neither does any doTerra distributor I know, no matter how many conventions they have been to or how many times they have read doTerra's essential oil Bible.

I have had a couple of bottles of doTerra's oils. They work just as well as my preferred brand which is much cheaper, just as pure and researched, not multi-level marketed, and provides educational opportunities. They are also much more conservative in their claims and in their cautions for using on children and pregnant women. I like that.

Today I read a couple of news articles stating that both doTerra and Young Living have been told by the FDA that they need to change their claims or face penalties. It's about time! Is the FDA always right? No. I whole-heartedly agree with their stance on this and hope that these companies will reign in their claims of cures. I am not sure how they will be able to reeducate all of their distributors in the 15 days time they were given. I am sure that they will claim that they have no control over what their independent distributors say, but that the company makes no such promises of cures.

This is a soap box that has been brewing inside me for quite some time. I do not usually climb on. That is not really the purpose of this blog, but it is my blog and it is a free country and we have free speech. With free speech comes responsibility for speaking truth. I still love all of my doTerra loving friends and hope that no one is offended by this. And by no one I mean the six people who read this, four of whom are family members who I know are not affiliated with doTerra, whew. I feel much better now that I got this out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day He Died

Thirteen years ago today I was at an aquarium in the Gateway Shopping Center in Salt Lake City. I was with my sister-in-law, JuNette; her son Andrew and my three oldest children. Spencer had just turned five the day before, Taylor was three and a half, and Emma was 22 months. The aquarium was new and small, but we enjoyed our time there. After we had been there for some time JuNette handed me her phone and said that Destry had been trying to get a hold of me for quite some time. Destry told me not to worry, but that he and Christine were driving to my childhood home in Springville to check on my dad because no one had heard from him and he hadn't shown up to pick up my mom from the hospital.  My siblings and I had been worried about my mom's welfare because she had had a gastric bypass surgery to help her to loose weight and to improve both her health and her quality of life. The surgery had gone well and she was ready to come home on this day 13 years ago. Oddly, my dad neve

Her Life was Not as Sweet

A couple of years ago at a moment when my mom was expressing her love to her children and grandchildren, she mentioned that her Patriarchal Blessing stated she would live for as long as "life was sweet for her." She told us that while she missed her sweetheart dearly, life was indeed sweet. I thought that was a blessing for her and for us. This past year has been quite difficult for her. Last November she began having pain in her upper back, arms, and shoulders. She visited a pain clinic and received a series of injections providing her with some relief. By Spring her hands and feet were swollen and misshapen and she had difficulty getting her body moving each morning. If she had a morning appointment she would wake up at 4:00 a.m. in order to get her hands moving so she could use them. In the spring her primary care physician suggested she see a rheumatologist.  In the past she has had bad experiences either with rheumatology medications or doctors and I began going to

"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"

As a mother stills her child,      Thou canst hush the ocean wild; From August to November of last year, Taylor has had four witnessed and likely two other grand mal seizures; all of them in his sleep. By the time he'd had his sixth the Sunday before Thanksgiving, I had reached the end of my rope. It was terrifying to see him stiffen, shake, foam at the mouth and turn purple for many minutes. This particular seizure was the worst and the longest. We were struggling to get him seen by a neurologist and I had decided to call the paramedics for the fourth time and this time to have him transported to the hospital even if he regained consciousness. He needed to be fast tracked to testing and medication.  Little did I know that that call would take me down a path I never in a million years imagined I would be on.  To summarize what happened after the paramedics arrived, they pushed me out of Taylor's room and refused to give me the time of day. Never mind, he has a complex medical h